Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack2794 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Sister might have epilepsy, can she just get it at 18?
    My sister has been fainting when she has been in nightclubs and says now that she is fainting when looking at the flames of a fire, can she get it at 18, can it just come on like that? Also I was wondering how will it affect her in the long term, if she does have it, will there be side effects besides seizures etc.
    Once you have epilepsy, do you have it forever? :(
    Thanks
    p.s she thinks it is epilepsy because paramedics who have had to come to to see to her say she is showing signs of it.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Has she been examined by a neurologist? If not, that would be Step One.

Oct 22, 2007, 02:57 PM
    No she is scared too in case her driving license is revoked
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 03:10 PM
    If she's had even one seizure that caused her to lose consciousness, she really needs to see a neurologist right away. If she needs treatment she isn't getting, losing her license could be the least of her problems. Seizures are dangerous and their effects can be cumulative, so the longer they go on, the greater the damage can be. Get her to a neurologist ASAP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 03:35 PM
    So she would rather not know, perhaps die from something else maybe, get worst, or perhaps have a seizure while driving and kill my family or someone else's family,?

Sorry but she needs to know and be treated if she is

Oct 23, 2007, 05:31 AM
    I agree with all of you, I've tried to get it through to her. She's fainted 7 times, 2 of which resulted in paramedics being called. She has been to the doctor who did blood tests on her, all of the things they tested for came back negative, so I think there is a high chance it is epilepsy. I've told her to stop driving but she's just bought a car ad is refusing, and as you siad Fr Chuck its not just her who is at risk but others too, could traffic lights in the dark cause a fit? I just hope she comes to her senses.
    wallarookiller Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2007, 10:33 PM
    It can get much better and they won't take her licence unless its really bad. My friend had it and it seemed to be gone for years now.
    amandalee Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
    I had this same problem at the same age! I was 18 years old and having episodes of fainting, déjà vu, and severe sweating. I went to the doctor and they sent me to a neurologist and they came up with epilepsy with temporal lobe seizures.

They had indicated that something like this can come up part way through life due to some sort of trauma or stress. A car accident initiated mine. My condition may be different than your sisters, but I was on medication for a short while and then I haven't had a problem since. However, she should definitely see a neurologist and get an EEG done.
    RecCatholic Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
    I was diagnosed when I was 24. I had been driving a car and had my first one then. I drove through 2 parking lots and over 6 lanes of traffic, as well as a median. The only thing hurt was my car... and me, of course. I was EXTREMELY lucky, as you can imagine. A cop saw the whole thing and that is why I was diagnosed so fast. My husband and I were worried that it was something like a brain tumor or something, and even though she won't be able to drive for 6 months, it wasn't that big of a deal, really, because I was scared to death of an accident happening again. It isn't any different than driving drunk. Medicines will help. I was even able to have a baby on the meds that I am taking. Intervene if you have to. Her safety-and others as well-depends on it.
    Apple001 Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2010, 01:53 PM

It took me a while to get diagnosed but they finally found I had Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. I hate taking my medice because I can't concentrate.. so after I believe 2 years now that I've taken it I haven't taken it in like 6 months. I still get jerks but I learned that when you wake up in the morning you have to wait like 5-10 min in bed waking up (roll around, open your eyes a few times) and then get up slowly and try not to think about anything. You have to feel relaxed and then no jerks appear. I can't say it's the same at night because I haven't gotten any since I get plenty of sleep. Hopefully someday they go away.. my aunt's did.. and hers was worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My sister needs help [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: hi I'm writing about my sister she is doing things that are upsetting my whole family she cuts her wrist and wrights on pieces of paper that she is going to hang her self and this is upsetting the whole family not only because she is doing this but because we have younger sister who is...

Noises in head after epilepsy [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know a cure for noises in head after epilepsy

Sister vs. Sister [ 1 Answers ]

Two years ago, my girlfriend's mother transferred (in good faith) the titles of her houses over to her oldest daughters name because of Med-Cal. The property has three houses on the lot in which my girlfriend lives in one of them with her two daughters. Now, the oldest sister has refianced the...

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

Epilepsy & Sex [ 10 Answers ]

I heard that some anti-seizure meds can affect one's sex life? (I'm taking lamictal) I heard that epileptic women often have sexual difficulties? Is this true?

View more questions Search