Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skunkape Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 02:19 PM
    overhead crane
    HI. And thanks for looking at my question... I want to build an over head crane in my shop the H beams are 6.5 x 4 x 1/4 the span will be 40' with 16' upright h beams of the same size on each end... The question is how much weight will this hold?? I'm looking for around 1 ton...
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Only one ton,not much weight!

A forty foot span will have considerable deflection on its spread,even with gussets and 45 degree knee bracing the span might need some upper support.

I am not a structural engineer,(father was mechanical).

I would talk with a truss company or structural architectural firm before going too far.

Best of luck,

Ken

Oct 23, 2007, 05:54 AM
    OK thanks my main concern will be in the webbing... I can tie back into the building on top every ten feet to support the downward pull of the weight as it travels across the beam
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Good luck,Maybe when a few more check in they will have some more ideas,

Ken

Oct 26, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Need answer
    dluns2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Is it a wide flange or standard beam? Meaning is the web flat or tapered. You could check with a company that sells structural steel and they can tell you what weight the beam will hold at that span. You could always stitch weld a channel to the top of the beam to reinforce it. 40 feet is a long span for that weight. I don't think your beam will hold the weight safely.
    ASU_Darin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
    First I will need the material information. Is this a bridge crane? Or what type.. a decent skecth would help? What are the support beams on... is its cement slab.. I'm thinking you will need to reinforce the base... need spcs or cut sheets of the hoist... for a naïve calc you can treat it as a cantilever beam first... the I beams generally twist in torsion before bending... and the deflection would be greatest at the point of force (1 ton), where your lifting it.. in the center if your lifting it in the center.. but I would be more weiry of the base.. the reastion forces could buckle the upright beams... :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating Overhead [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a more efficient way to set an overhead rate for a production facility to bill in a work order.

Manufacturing overhead [ 1 Answers ]

Company's manufacturing overhead is 20% of it's total conversion cost. If direct labor is $45,000 and direct materials are $53,000, the manufacturing overhead is? How do I figure this?

Kelsey Grammer/ [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I have a question about a Kelsey Grammer movie I saw in the 1990s I am trying to remember the name of the movie. Perhaps someone can assist me. In it, Kelsey played a children’s book author and seemed to be drunk or have a hangover all the time. His nemesis in the...

Overhead [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following problem. -The Marcos company budgeted overhead at $240,000 for the period, based on a budgeted volume of 60,000 direct labor hours. At the end of the period, the factory overhead account had a debit balance of $260,000; actual direct labor hours were...

View more questions Search