Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 05:43 AM
    Cold water supply line noises
    When I turn on any household faucet, specifically the cold water, it makes noises as if their may be air in the line. What could it be and how do I fix it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2007, 06:08 AM
    If your faucet has washers and seats I would suspect that the retaining screw came loose and the washer's vibrating against the seat as the water rushes by. The solution would be to shut the water off and open up the faucet. Check the washer and tighten if loose. Before you button the valve back up turn on the cold water for a minute to flush out the valve body and supply. Good luck, Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2007, 06:43 AM
    bredin01 disagrees: My question is not isolated to one faucet.
    Hey! Can't win them all! Explain about the "air in line" noise. Does air come out of your faucets? Do they sputter and spit at you? Are you on a pump or city water? If on city water do you have a pressure reducing valve? Back to you,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Bred, you stated "household faucet" and that sure sounded like one faucet to me. We can't always guess that info is not complete. I was going to suggest that the bad washer was at your main but that would make noise if the hot were also involved. Back to you for more info.

Oct 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Yes, air seems to come out of the faucets in a spit and sputter manner and I am on city water. Not sure about the pressure reducing valve. Please advise.

Oct 23, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Just the cold and never the hot, right?

Oct 23, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Yes
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Is there a sprinkler system? Have you asked your neighbors if they have the same problem? Think! Is there anything added to your water system that could interject air into it? A pressure reducing valve sets right after the water service enters your home. Its purpose is to reduce the higher PSI in the city main down to a acceptable house pressure. Regards, Tom

Oct 23, 2007, 06:30 PM
    No sprinkler system. No problem with neighbors. Nothing added to water system. There appears to be a pressure reducing valve. Please advise.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
    I think I might have it. If there was something vibrating in the pressure reducing valve it would affect the cold water in spurts and jerks but the hot water would be buffered by the water heater and not be affected. Have the PRV valve checked out. Good luck, Tom

Oct 23, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Expert detective work even after you got a reddie. I was thinking PRV but didn't think about how the hot water tank would buffer the spurts. Great job Tom.
    davmas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2012, 04:28 PM
    I have hot water on the top floor and full water supply on the ground floor, but nothing in the middle. Help
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by davmas View Post
    I have hot water on the top floor and full water supply on the ground floor, but nothing in the middle. Help
    What fixtures are affected on the middle floor? No pressure at all?
    Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged water supply (service line) [ 12 Answers ]

The pressure coming into my house is 40psi,but when I flush the toilet the pressure drops to 15psi. The private water company is telling me the service line is probably clogged with manganese. They also tell me this is my responsibility since I own the service line. The manganese comes from the...

No cold water supply in the bath [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, The shower tap supplies only hot water. There is no cold water at all. I have checked all other taps in the basement and it seems to be working fine, even in the basin next to the shower. Thanks, Nina

No cold water supply to faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks I have an upstairs half bath with washbasin in. The other day, the cold water stopped supply working. I've tasted taken the feed pipe from the cut-off valve and tested to see if the water is being fed to the valve by turning it off and on, I don't get any water through the valve. Anyone...

Replacing Toilet's Water Supply Line [ 9 Answers ]

My house was built in 1979. I have a leak in the water supply line connecting from the turn-off valve down by the baseboard to the tank. I just replaced the guts of the toilet and when I got ready to turn the water back on, the bendable line was leaking. Evidently the line was bent one too many...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search