Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NicoleC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Shower Diverter - Hot/cold handles hard to turn
    My shower has the standard 3 (not sure of brand) valve set up. All of the valve handles are very hard to turn and I am wondering is there a way of loosening any part of the stems to reduce the tension? I am not sure but I think a long time ago I read that when the stems are installed in a closed position then this increases the tension (not sure if I got this right). Also are there any techniques you would recommend to remove the stems IF they are hard to turn when removing them with a shower valve removal socket (caused by rust or calcium build up on the threads)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Hi Nicole,

Some times the bonnet packings on rhe stem swell up and make the stem hard to turn. When that happens you must loosen the bonnet packing nuts a tad. (See Below) Remove the knob and the chrome cover plate. The Next brass nut closest to the top is the bonnet packing nut. Put the knob back on and open the valve up a bit and start backing the nut off counterclockwise while turning the knob. Stop! When it turns easy. Is it now leaking around the stem? If it is then tighten the bonnet packing until it stops. Move on to the next one and do the same thing. Good luck, Tom
    NicoleC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Thanks Speedball
    Thanks Speedball -- will try and let you kow what happens.. Will probably be a few weeks as we are expecting company and don't want to mess it up before/while they are here :)
    deanne620 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Nicole,

Some times the bonnet packings on rhe stem swell up and make the stem hard to turn. When that happens you must loosen the bonnet packing nuts a tad. (See Below) Remove the knob and the chrome cover plate. The Next brass nut closest to the top is the bonnet packing nut. Put the knob back on and open the valve up a bit and start backing the nut off counterclockwise while turning the knob. Stop!! When it turns easy. Is it now leaking around the stem? If it is then tighten the bonnet packing untill it stops. Move on to the next one and do the same thing. good luck, Tom

I have a question about the part where you say "start backing the nut off counterclockwise while turning the knob": What direction do I turn the knob? I am definitely a novice and don't want to screw the job up!!

Thanks,
    DeAnne
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
    I have a question about the part where you say "start backing the nut off counterclockwise while turning the knob": What direction do I turn the knob? I am definitely a novice and don't want to screw the job up!!
    Thanks,
    DeAnne

Just turn the knob back and forth while backing the bonnet packing nut out counterclockwise until it turns easy. Do not back the nut out so far it starts to leak past the stem. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower diverter [ 4 Answers ]

A plumbing problem that we can't seem to get a grip on: When we turn the shower knob, the water still runs out of the tub spout. There was initially a piece missing (black rubber gasket type fitting) from the back of the diverter assembly, but now that this piece has been added the assembly either...

Shower diverter [ 5 Answers ]

I moved into an older home (30 yrs old) and found that the bathtub and shower would both expel water... I replaced the diverter stem and still have problem. I checked for debris and trash but still can't solve problem. I am beginning to think I replaced the stem, but that previous owner used...

Shower was leaking from handles/I replaced and now it won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a replacement kit for a shower with leaking handles. I made sure to buy the same bonnets and seats. I changed everything out. Now it does not work at all. No water comes out of the shower head. The diverter does not leak at all but the water comes out of the shower handles only. I...

Shower diverter? [ 6 Answers ]

When I turn on the water, then go to turn the faucet (wall type diverter with spring) for the shower, the water still comes out of the spout and just about half of the water comes out of the shower head. I have already replaced the diverter with a new one (much stronger spring as the old spring was...

Shower diverter [ 6 Answers ]

Having trouble with the shower. More water coming out of faucets than the shower. We replaced the diverter but this did not help. Any other ideas. Thanks Jo D.

View more questions Search