Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1Murray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Dual Citizenship
    I'm a United States Citizen, and am interested in dual citizenship with Canada. Would I need to establish residency in a Province or Territory (of Canada) to obtain dual citizenship? I don't have any family ties in Canada. It is said that in 2008, a passport will be needed to go to the Canadian Provinces and Territories and back to the United States. Would dual citizenship of The United States and Canada make it not necessary to get a passport in 2008 or beyond?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Even if you have dual citizenship in Canada and the US you will need a passport to enter both countries.

And how exactly do you plan on getting Canadian citizenship? It's not like they just hand it out to anyone that asks. You have to live in Canada (legally as a permanent resident) for 3 full years during a 4 year period to become a apply for citizenship. However first you must get permanent residence in Canada (the US equivalent of a green card).
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Lowtax4eva is of course correct but I am wondering if you are confused? You will be able to enter and leave Canada on your US passport but not work or settle there.

What is it you need to be able to do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship [ 4 Answers ]

My father was a naturalized US citizen. My mother was not. They were both born in Tunis Tunisia of Italian parents. My grandparents on both sides were Sicilian and immigrated to Tunis in the early part of the 20th century (I think the early part and not the later part of the 19th century). Can I...

Dual Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My Name is Noah and I was born In Athens Greece, but I was given up for adoption shortly after. I now live in the USA and have US citizenship. My question is- do I still retain my Greek citizenship? If so, is there a benefit to obtaining a Greek passport when I visit Greece? What...

Dual citizenship [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in going over to Western Europe to work for one year. I understand you need a European Visa to do this. My grandparents were from France and settled in Canada, where my mother was born. My mother came to the States at 18 and became a US citizen. Does having French grandparents...

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Robert and I'm a legal permanent resident here in the United States, Came here with my parents when I was 4yrs of age. I do run into problems occasionally and was wondering, If I become a US citizen can I still retain my British Citizenship?:confused:

View more questions Search