Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emily1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 07:43 PM
    3 week old puppies COVERED in FLEAS!
    A friend of mine owns a tire shop/junk yard and 4 of his dogs all had puppies within a week of one another... long story short, there are about 26 puppies, they are Labs mixed with something that makes them smaller than an average lab ? They are only 3 weeks old right now, and I'm wanting to bring one home as soon as he is old enough (6 weeks) BUT my household already contains 2 dogs and 2 cats, and the puppies are all COVERED with fleas, I need something to give a young puppie because I don't want to risk giving all my animals fleas, but I don't want to harm the puppy! I bought a shampoo for puppies but it says they have to be over 12 weeks!! Would that be unsafe to use?? HELP please!! :confused: :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Check the labels on some other products. You may find a flea spray safe for 6 week olds. Some of them you can spray a towel and wrap the puppy in it. Even a flea comb plus whatever product you are using on the dog you have might do.
    weenie Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Take him to the vet and they will give him something.I just had the same problem a few weeks ago.I just bought a shipoo puppy and he was loaded in fleas also.I didn't know what to give him for the problem.when I took him to the vet for his shot they gave him some revolution it goes on the back of their neck and into their system so when the flea bites it dies.In one week my pup was flea free and is to this day!I have to pups and they are both flea free.It is getting colder to and the fleas will soon die off outside.I suggest you get this stuff from the vet.my dog is small,not sure if that matters but it only cost me $10 to get him taken care of.It is well worth it for you and your pup! I hope this helps,good luck:)
    Below is a description I cut and pasted from the revolution web site so you could read up on it!
    What is Revolution®?
    Revolution® is the safe, simple way to protect your pet from harmful parasites including fleas, heartworm, and intestinal worms. Revolution® is applied topically just once a month, is safe for pets and their owners, and is waterfast within 2 hours of application.

For CATS, Revolution® is a complete parasite control in a convenient monthly spot-on that:

* Kills adult fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae in the environment.
    * Treats, controls and prevents flea infestations.
    * Controls flea allergy dermatitis.
    * Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
    * Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
    * Treats and controls intestinal roundworm (Toxocara cati) and hookworm (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

For DOGS, Revolution® is the convenient monthly spot-on which:

* Kills adult fleas, flea eggs and flea larvae in the environment.
    * Treats, controls and prevents flea infestations.
    * Controls flea allergy dermatitis.

* Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
    * Treats and controls sarcoptic mange (Sarcoptes scabiei).
    * Controls American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis) infestations.

Revolution® is waterproof in just two hours. Approved for use on kittens and puppies as young as six weeks. Excellent safety profile.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Revolution is one of many good products, in fact I use it on my older dog. She had developed a flea allergy before the better products were in common use. None of them will give the immediate results you need before bringing the puppy into your house. You don't want to give them a chance to jump off and go lay eggs. Get rid of the fleas before even letting her in the car. Once home, then treat it with the size appropriate dose of something safe for its age. If you have successful experience with something for the existing pets, I would stick with it, if it is OK for a young puppy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old puppies have fleas. [ 32 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, my female gave birth to 5 beautiful puppies. I noticed that they are really infested with fleas. I really don't know what to do because of their age. I gave all the animals in my house a bath and cahnged their blankets. They still are covered. What should I do, and is it safe to...

Fleas on newborn puppies [ 10 Answers ]

My dog has 5 day old puppies. There is a growing flea problem. Can I treat these puppies at this age? Can I treat the nursing mother?

Fleas on Puppies [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of treatment can you give 4wk old puppies?

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

Puppies and fleas [ 11 Answers ]

My puppies are 2weeks old and they are covered in fleas what can I do or what can I use on them

View more questions Search