Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Can I lose current home if rental goes to foreclosure?
    We bought a house about four years ago, and put our old one up for sale. When the old one didn't sell, we rented it out and tried to sell again between tenants. Four years later, the rental house has depreciated so much that it is almost worthless. We have had it on the market almost a year, and nothing. Homes in that area are selling for under 10k. We owe 29k, because once upon a time it was worth much more. It is going to foreclosure soon, because we could not keep up with the rising taxes and repair expenses (expenses much greater than rent). I have heard that the deficiency balance can be attached to my home as a lien. My question is, if that happens, can the bank force me to sell/or forclose my current home?
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 22, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbooks
    We bought a house about four years ago, and put our old one up for sale. When the old one didn't sell, we rented it out and tried to sell again between tenants. Four years later, the rental house has depreciated so much that it is almost worthless. We have had it on the market almost a year, and nothing. Homes in that area are selling for under 10k. We owe 29k, because once upon a time it was worth much more. It is going to foreclosure soon, because we could not keep up with the rising taxes and repair expenses (expenses much greater than rent). I have heard that the deficiency balance can be attached to my home as a lien. My question is, if that happens, can the bank force me to sell/or forclose my current home?
    There is more to this than a simple answer, but generally the answer is no. You need to contact a real estate attorney in the state that you live in. The first consultation is usually free. Do this now but the foreclosure goes any farther.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Such a lien cannot be used to force the sale of a primary residence. Depending on your area, it may even be exempt.

But they can go after you in other ways for the unpaid balance of what you owe. Salary garnishment, bank account attachment, etc.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Hello j:

I have a sneakin hunch we're talking about a mobile home here. If so, just like a car, IT is its own security.

If, however, we're talking about a regular house, they'll sue you, win, and put a lien on your current home if you don't pay.

No, they cannot force you to sell. But you're going to owe the money. Talk to your bank about a short sale.

excon
    jbooks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 07:05 AM
    Thank you all for your help. Believe it or not, this is not a mobile home. It is an older home in an urban area and a market currently saturated with others just like it. I understand I will owe the deficiency one way or another. I have contacted an attorney and am waiting anxiously for the appointment. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure on the Second/Rental property [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Dilek, I was wondering if anyone knows or experienced about foreclosures. We cannot keep up paying our mortgage payments in our second property that was our primary residence until we bought a house thinking that we will make money by keeping the condo as rental, but we cannot rent...

Pre-foreclosure on rental property. What are my rights as renter? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting this home for the past 3 years and have always paid rent on time to the homeowner. I recently received a notice that the property will be in foreclosure if the owner does not bring her mortgage up to date by the end of this month. The owner denies that the home is about to be...

Going to lose my home [ 3 Answers ]

:( Will anyone give me money to save my home:confused:(

Rental Deposit and Foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

What happens to a tenant's deposit when a property is sold at a foreclosure sale and the new owner continues the lease? California

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

View more questions Search