Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terminator05 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
    What is your opinion?
    Here's what's up:

I am getting a book published through the company Publish America. Now, my parents didn't really seem to be too supportive. I told my dad they were publishing my book, then he goes on the website Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers I mean, what kind of support is that?

Anyway, I was wondering about others opinions on this publishing company, I read a few on ripoffreport.com, but they seemed more interested in making the company look bad than give their opinion.

So, anyone heard of them? Anyone got an opinion? I only have support from two people. Niether of them being my parents, or even family.
    BSKing Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Oct 21, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Im no expert, but I know that PA doesn't have the best reputation as a publisher. I'm sorry if you aren't finding support, it sucks to feel that way, but maybe it's for the better. The criticism thrown at PA is that they are basically just cheap, the'll pay you small and not give you much benefits or even good editing other companies might. I mean who knows, maybe it's better than nothing -everybody has to start somewhere; but just try to make the best decision even if it hurts
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
    For the past 13 years, I have been a cataloguer at a Chicago area public library. During the previous 13 years, I worked as a book shelver, as the head of circulation, and as a reference librarian. Until this very moment reading terminator's post, I had never heard of Publish America nor have I ever touched a book published by them.

I have had four books published by a CA small press and know how publishing works. I looked at PA's site and at the RipOff site. My best guess, despite everything PA says, is that they PRINT your book and then post it on their site, but do not market it (but leave that job to the author).

I would never approach PA with a manuscript. If I cannot find a legitimate publisher (not PRINTER -- and I could print my own mss. Just fine if I wanted to), I would believe either the time had not yet come for my ms. or it was not publishable.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 08:05 PM
    They do no advertiesment for your book. They are only interested in selling books to everyone in your family and all your friends. Then, they feel they have made money. You paying for the publishing and your family and friends buying your book is really the bulk of their income. The big book stores shy away from stocking books from vanity presses. The books are to over priced to give a good discount to a large bookseller. Shall I go on?
    Unless you have the next Harry Potter and it suddenly gets "discovered" in the midst of the other ten million new "authors" out there flooding the publishers with unwanted manuscripts, you are in for a disapointment with Publish America or any other vanity publisher.
    If it is not fiction or poetry you may have a chance with the smaller niche publishers though. If it is a Geek book, Microsoft owns their own publishing company.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I would never approach PA with a manuscript. If I cannot find a legitimate publisher (not PRINTER -- and I could print my own mss. just fine if I wanted to), I would believe either the time had not yet come for my ms. or it was not publishable.
    If you approach Publish America with a manuscript and a few hundred dollars, they will publish it. They will publish anything. Some writers wrote a short novel a few years back that made absolutely no sense at all. If you read it for more than 5 minutes, you got a headache! Publish America published it!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
    If I give/promise a publisher money to publish my book, that publisher is a vanity press.

Even small presses will give authors advances to show interest and later royalties based on book sales. Small presses will also do the marketing via word of mouth, sales brochures, attendance at bookseller and library conventions as well as at book fairs and teacher conferences, whatever is appropriate to the subject of the books they promote.
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Press Release.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is your opinion? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm a 26 year old male, no children, and single. First off, I'm not sure right now if I want to be with anyone. If that changes, I would like to find a woman who doesn't want children either. I have nothing against children, I just don't see myself as a parent. I've thought about sterilizing...

In need of an opinion [ 1 Answers ]

All right so I know it's hard to juge a relationship from just one side of the picture but here's my story. So my girlfriend and I have been going out for a year. We met last June and pretty much hit it off right away. We we're both coming out of a serious relationship but we thought let's just...

I need an opinion [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find pictures/detailed informations about stds because I need it for health class and I don't know where to find it the health book only states the obvious

Need some help / opinion [ 16 Answers ]

I've been swimming at the university pool since July and sort of known this boy. It took him a couple of weeks of saying 'hi' and chit chat to ask for my number and ask if I wanted to have lunch (that was August). Although we agreed to meet up (weeks later), he didn't show up... and had some...

Opinion [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used Ideal In-Sure Push-In Wire Connectors? What is your opinion of them?

View more questions Search