Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang102863 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 04:56 PM
    ? About quotes
    Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/?
    Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he wants it cleaned but doesn't want to pay , please help if you can.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 01:17 AM
    If you are going to clean it, then yes it should be included in a quote. Have you signed some sort of contract or agreement with this person yet, as far as what is to be cleaned? If you haven't, then you should be able to communicate with him as to what needs to be changed as far as a quote is concerned. I would also protect yourself by having some kind of contract the specifies that if any changes are to be made in the contract, that they can be made upon the mutual agreement of both the contractor and the customer.

Oct 22, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    If you are going to clean it, then yes it should be included in a quote. Have you signed some sort of contract or agreement with this person yet, as far as what is to be cleaned? If you haven't, then you should be able to communicate with him as to what needs to be changed as far as a quote is concerned. I would also protect yourself by having some kind of contract the specifies that if any changes are to be made in the contract, that they can be made upon the mutual agreement of both the contractor and the customer.
    This agreement was verbal , but how can he expect you to clean something he doesn't want to pay for , and this is what he said, he is really hard to please and we have made several trips out there and not been able to do our job for the other contractors being there... and he just acts like this is all part of our responsibility... please give any suggestions you may have thanks angie
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 03:19 AM
    What was the verbal agreement, please?

Oct 22, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ang102863
    this agreement was verbal , but how can he expect you to clean something he doesn't want to pay for , and this is what he said, he is really hard to please and we have made several trips out there and not been able to do our job for the other contractors being there...and he just acts like this is all part of our responsibility...please give any suggestions you may have thanks angie
    The aggrement was 15 cent per sq foot on a 2085 sq foot house, we were to do tubs and windows on the rough clean and then do a final clean.
    When I talked to his secretary after we came across the blueprints it was 2985 with the garage I asked her if this was included and she said she wasn't sure but she knew he wanted the garage cleaned so I took this as he was going to pay for the 2085.
    Due to he quoted us 2085 when I asked the sq footage on the house.
    What do you think?
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
    I would go and speak with the man and let him know that you are having a challenge in this situation and that he is the one who can help you with it. Saying it that way is not blaming him for the problem. Also, it is not likely to put him on the defensive.

I would then let him know what you found out by looking at the blueprints and speaking with his secretary. And, that it was understood that he wanted the garage cleaned also, but in order to do that, you would need to add the extra square feet into the agreement. Right now, he is only going to be paying for you to clean 2085 sq ft. That was the agreement. If he wants the garage cleaned, then he is going to have to pay for it.

If he was willing for you to do work based upon a verbal agreement rather than a written contract, it sounds like he trusts you. So, I think that it would be likely for him to change some things in order to get the entire job completed, that is, if he is a reasonable person. .

How do you know that he doesn't want to pay for the cleaning of the garage? He probably just forgot about the square footage of the garage and was only remembering what it is for the house. Everyone makes mistakes

Please speak with him. You can do this.

Oct 23, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I would go and speak with the man and let him know that you are having a challenge in this situation and that he is the one who can help you with it. Saying it that way is not blaming him for the problem. Also, it is not likely to put him on the defensive.

I would then let him know what you found out by looking at the blueprints and speaking with his secretary. And, that it was understood that he wanted the garage cleaned also, but in order to do that, you would need to add the extra square feet into the agreement. Right now, he is only going to be paying for you to clean 2085 sq ft. That was the agreement. If he wants the garage cleaned, then he is going to have to pay for it.

If he was willing for you to do work based upon a verbal agreement rather than a written contract, it sounds like he trusts you. So, I think that it would be likely for him to change some things in order to get the entire job completed, that is, if he is a reasonable person. .

How do you know that he doesn't want to pay for the cleaning of the garage? He probably just forgot about the square footage of the garage and was only remembering what it is for the house. Everyone makes mistakes

Please speak with him. You can do this.
    Thanks so much for your help.. I know everyone makes mistakes, but this time it wasn't when I asked him what the sq footage was he went to his truck pulled the blueprints and that is when he quoted the 2085 , so he knew at that point what he was quoting, later is when I found the blueprints on the final clean and called his secretary . So I guess I will just have to eat this one (live and learn as they say) I will do different the next time.
    If you have any more suggestions I would love to hear them... angie
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 03:38 AM
    You are welcome for the advice that I gave. I hope that everything works out for you on this particular job!

If you want to know anything else like about promoting and advertising your small business, then please ask me. I would be glad to help!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Nov 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Another great answer Clough.

In this case you are only talking about $135.00. Lessons are to learned, ask as many questions as possible, visit the location prior to your quote (verbal or written--I always get a written contract), make up a proposal even if he hasn't. That way when you give it to him you sit down and go over everything. Also on larger projects, or new buildings, always ask (and get) a blueprint.
    Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure washing quotes [ 11 Answers ]

What to charge per sq ft to pressure wash a building and parking lot.

Funny quotes [ 4 Answers ]

These all aren't done by the same person and most of them don't have an author; but anyway... ENJOY! Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. My homework is like a juicy steak -- rarely done. I never let schooling interfere with my education --Mark Twain One of...

Quotes from around [ 3 Answers ]

Sarcastic Quotes » Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence. - Ashleigh Brilliant » It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black. - Paul Newman » It's a catastrophic success.

Favorite Movie quotes [ 2 Answers ]

What is your favorite movie quote? Mine is from "True Romance". James Gandolfini just beat up Patricia Arquette. Before he is about to kill her, he hesitates to tell her how hard his first murders were. First one was tough.. he got sick. Second one was no picnic. Then he says, "Now I just do...

Pressure washing quotes [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know how to charge on pressure washing a wood fence? Is there some type of sq foot price.

View more questions Search