Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Does the Earth move?
    I read a statement some time back that some people who seriously study such thilngs say that there is no way that it can be proven whether Earth moves around the Sun or whether everything moves around Earth. Sounds strange! Is there anyone out there qualified to comment on this?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Both the Sun and the Earth orbit the center of mass of the Sun-Earth system. This is ascertained by watching other orbits like the other planets or binary stars or the moon or whatever.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Actually, it is possible to construct a mathematical model of the solar system that has the earth stationary and the sun orbiting around it in an elliptical orbit and the other planets orbiting around the earth in a very complicated motion of sum of ellipses. While this works mathematically, such a solar system would not conform to Newton's laws of gravitation (which as Capuchin pointed out requires the sun and earth to orbit each other around the center of mass of the earth-sun system). If you're not worried about the physics of how gravity works, but are only interested in predicting where in the sky the planets should appear, such a system would work just fine. It's equivalent to predicting the view out your car window by assuming that the car is stationary and the rest of the world is moving and tilting as you accelerate, drive up and down hills, turn left and right, etc.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Thinking that the Earth revolves around the sun is based on the heliocentric theory of the solar system. Man was only able to prove that the Earth rotates in the 17th century when a man called Jean Foucault created what is known as the foucault pendulum. The pendulum starts always going in the same direction back and forth. However, we know the Earth rotates because over time the pendulum changes direction. But it hasn't really changed direction, the Earth has moved underneath it!
    The stuff below also helps explain why the modern model is the most accepted.
    I got it from: Retrograde Motion

Ptolemaic Explanation

The model of the solar system developed by Ptolemy (87 - 150 A.D.) was a refinement of Aristotle's (384 - 322 B.C.) universe. This model consisted of a series of concentric spheres, with the Earth at the center (geocentric). The motions of the Sun, Moon, and stars was based on perfect circles. To account for the observed retrograde motion of the planets, it was necessary to resort to a system of epicycles, whereby the planets moved around small circular paths that in turn moved around larger circular orbits around the Earth. This accounts for retrograde motion, as shown in the animation below:

Copernican Explanation

Copernicus replaced the geocentric universe of Ptolemy with one that was centered on the Sun (heliocentric), with only the Moon orbiting the Earth. His model was still based on circular orbits (and therefore still required further refinement), but it was able to achieve superior precision than the Ptolemaic model without the need for epicycles or other complications. The explanation for retrograde motion in this system arises from the fact that the planets further from the sun are moving more slowly in their orbits than those closer to the sun. The retrograde motion of Mars occurs when the Earth passes by the slower moving Mars, as shown in the following animation:
    pradham Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Yes The Earth Revolvs Around The Sun. It Sounds Strange But It Was Believed By The Proofs Given By The Astronauts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WHAT on earth does SPACE mean? [ 1 Answers ]

Ifffffffffffffffffffffff

Why earth has gravity? [ 6 Answers ]

Why and how earth has gravity?

Planet Earth [ 14 Answers ]

Has anyone else been watching the Planet Earth series that Discovery is running right now. I am addicted to it as is many of the teachers at my school. It is amazing how they catch the wildlife in their own habitat.

Earth Science [ 2 Answers ]

What are the six steps of the Scientific Method?

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search