Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vdrezzi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Wireless/cable internet connection
    Hello,

I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me.
    1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I made sure that my internet settings were similar to my friend's... but still no luck.. Can you help me on this?
    2) Where I am living, my roommate got Road Runner. We all have the same cable wiring in the house.. I tried access the internet with a compatible cable modem.. saw activity.. got an automatic assigned ip address and subnet mask... but still wasn't able to get online... plz help on this.

Do I need to get their usernames/pwds or connectivity settings to connect to the internet?
    Please assist me on this.. Thanks

Jen :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 09:48 AM
    The answer may as simple as plugging in the correct DNS server settings for his ISP. Try that first. Another test you could do would be for your friend to share a folder on his computer and see if you can access it.

Having said that your friend should set some security on his network since you were able to join without a key.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2005, 11:04 AM
    If your roommate got RoadRunner and you bought a cable modem and tried to access it from the cable line, that proabably wouldn't work. The cable company registers the modems to prevent people from doing that. What you should do is work out a financial arrangement with your roommate and use a broadband router to share the Internet connection.

As to why you couldn't access the Net on your friend's network, that is most likely a configuration issue. Its possible he does have WEP security on the router which would allow you to connect but not use the Net.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Wireless connection? [ 4 Answers ]

Before I got my laptop reformatted the wireless connection on it was working fine. It works fine everywhere else but at my friend's house. I can pick up her wireless connection, the signal is very good, but for some reason I can't browse the internet. I tried repairing the connection but I get a...

Please help... Cable Internet Connection Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: I hope someone can help me with this. I know the basics of a computer and am trying to help my neighbor with their internet connection. They have a cable connection coming into their home. They have a computer on the first floor and one on the second both running Windows XP home...

Home Wireless network + Cable Internet [ 4 Answers ]

So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to...

Cable connection sharing with a hub/switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cable internet connection and want to share it with my three pcs all having windows xp , I have three cat5 cables and a 5- port switch , my broadband modem is a motorola surfboardsb 5100 usbcable modem, I tried to connect all of my pcs but not success , I run a set of setting a home...

View more questions Search