Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzsongs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Printing a poem off Chat Site, is it legal?
    Hi.. I'm on a writer's poetry site and they forbid anyone to print and save another's poem. Is this legal to prohibit this? I understand they are afraid that someone will plagarize/steal it and use for commercial use... BUT... anything on the world wide internet CAN BE printed and saved (poems, stories, etc etc etc)... as long as one does not steal it... So QUESTION IS: can a writer's online chat site prohibit people from printing out another's poetry, even if you are not going to steal it. Thanks.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
    Hi, When we were in the 'old' days, there were bookstores, etc. and no network. When we wanted something to keep to read again later, we had to buy it, as in a book.

What I do when I find something on the net that I would like to keep to read again for myself and not for commercial use except to 'quote', is to contact the author, and ask if I can use his/her work, or print it for private use. Or, I just go and find the book or article and buy it. It is legal for sites to prohibit copying or printing any part of what they publish. In my opinion, you should only copy or print things that specifically state that you can as they do not own the copyrights. I think as long as you have the written permission of the author you are covered.

Please check the legal sites in the state where you live to check on the copyright laws, to include items published on the internet. This way you will have the assurance you need. Good luck, and Happy Halloween!

jazzsongs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Question
    Hello... that cat was cute on the email!! I understand it covers one's basis to ask permission of the author... But I really wanted to know is if an internet Writer's Group can prohibit anyone from printing out poems.. period!
    I don't think there is any law that says you can not print out a poem from any internet site in the world... (The only laws I know of --is that you can can not SELL WHAT YOU PRINT)... So anyway... I rate you well because you came in with that cute cat and you answered quickly, even though you may not have had the exact answer, you answered from your heart... Angie
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 11:35 AM
    Thanks Angie, I appreciate that, I'm an old smiley addict and will probably use them all the time. Also a cat-lover..

What I print in my own home on my own computer I don't always have to show others, and you probably think the same way. But I did try to print something at one time, I think it was a cartoon, and my explorer all of a sudden crashed, and I still have not figured out why as of today. There was however a DON'T PRINT message on that particular site and the explorer crashed before the print job started, so I guess some do's and don'ts can be interpreted in many ways.

I tried looking for an appropriate legal site regarding this and have not found one to my satisfaction either.

This probably leaves you with more questions than answers, but that's all I've been able to come up with.

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Hi,

No one can prohibit you from printing anything you find on a web page, it's technically impossible. They can post their copyright rules so that, if they catch you doing something so obviously illegal, they can invoke them.

As Chery said you can print off what you like for personal use if you do not intent to profit from it or deprive the owner of revenue based on the work (for example if you downloaded an illegal copy of a novel that is currently for sale and is copyrighted). Here is a good website for a more info of a legal nature:
    http://www.nolo.com/resource.cfm/cat...F7513/310/276/
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Thanks again letmeno, for your varitable treasure-chest of link knowledge. I added this to my personal list also.

Your posts may be short and sweet, but they have a lot to say...
    Have a good one..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! Need to find the immageries for the poem [ 1 Answers ]

the poem is called " A.B.C. of a Naval Trainee" by Roy Fuller is the anger we hide with some danger, Keeping it down like the twentieth beer. B is the boredom we feel in this bedlam. C is the cautious and supervised cheer. D is the tea dope and e English duping, Too feeble for folly,...

Love Poem [ 2 Answers ]

Love Poem Susie Lee Done Fell In Love; She Planned To Marry Joe. She Was So Happy 'bout It All She Told Her Pappy So. Pappy Told Her, Susie Gal, You'll Have To Find Another. I'd Just As Soon Yo' Ma Don't Know, But Joe Is Yo' Half Brother.

How To Start a Chat Site? [ 1 Answers ]

This is long winded. :) I hope somebody can take a peek at this website and maybe help me learn how I can start one of my own. Here is the URL to my example; http://www.roleplayuniverse.com/goreanroleplay/whochat.html If you go here, in order to see what the chat room itself looks...

Software download site. Is it legal? [ 4 Answers ]

Looks to me like a software version of Limewire - or the old Napster: http://www.fullsoftwaredownload.com/ I've never understood how Limewire can get away with what they're doing, but there they are, offering the connection for people to "share" so much stuff. Bottom line: would I be...

Web Site Topic Legal? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is in prison.:( he would like us to develop a website that gives info about prison life and in particular the situations that occur in yards, such as stabbings, deaths, etc. He would give me info and I would post on the website. Would there be any legal issues for me ? Specific names...

View more questions Search