Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanttoadopt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Adopt a friend's sister's kid - paternity
    We are pursuing adopting the unwanted child of a friend's sister. A question (among many!): No father on the birth certificate. Father that she says is the father is married with 2 kids and wants NOTHING to do with the child. Another guy, who she originally told was the father and now she says is not, is calling the grandmother (who the child now lives with). If we pursue adoption, and it is agreed upon by the birth mother (and her family, since this is a family we are friends with, and want to remain friends with), do we have to establish paternity and get the approval of the father for adoption?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Yes.

If you do not, the father can come back and get sole custody of the child, as it is his child, and the mother has already signed away her rights.

NOT establishing paternity and having the father sign away his parental rights can in some cases overturn an adoption.

My advice is to get a family lawyer.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 26, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wanttoadopt
    We are pursuing adopting the unwanted child of a friend's sister. A question (among many!): No father on the birth certificate. Father that she says is the father is married with 2 kids and wants NOTHING to do with the child. Another guy, who she originally told was the father and now she says is not, is calling the grandmother (who the child now lives with). If we pursue adoption, and it is agreed upon by the birth mother (and her family, since this is a family we are friends with, and want to remain friends with), do we have to establish paternity and get the approval of the father for adoption?
    YES. A quick DNA screen will be done but if no DNA established birth father is confirmed then I'm not sure what comes next. You do have an attorney and that person will give you all the right answers. Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister's husband's brother [ 4 Answers ]

My sister is getting married to my friend's brother. I was curious if me and my good friend will have a relationship title. So what is my sister's husband's brother to me?

My sister's tortured mind [ 107 Answers ]

My sister is now in her thirties. She has suffered from depression, anxiety, and other issues since she was in high school. She is extremely intelligent, artistic and book smart but has difficulty dealing with day to day issues. She has never been diagnosed and doesn't stick with traditional...

Best friend's ex [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a best friend who went out with a girl I know for about a year and a half, and started seeing another girl immediately afterwards (it's been about 6+ months at this point), and I've been pretty good friends with her ever since he introduced me. I've always sort of had a thing for her and...

Are my parents liable for sister's boyfriends car accident [ 2 Answers ]

My sister is 23, in college, and still on my parent's car insurance plan. She was letting her boyfriend drive her car and they totaled it. One of the passengers in the car was not wearing his seatbelt, was thrown from the car, and is injured very badly. There is no law in Iowa that says he had...

My little sister's friend has a HOT big bro [ 4 Answers ]

So a normal day it is, then I knowtest that my little sis invited a friend. When her friend rang the bell I went to go get it . Next thing you know me and her hot big bro were saying hi and making eye contact:) . I was so stupid cause I opened the door said hi and didn't even invite him in. but...

View more questions Search