Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandmatobe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Open adoption and removal of parental rights of the father
    My daughter is pregnant and the baby will be put up for open adoption. This is be best for the child. My daughter is only 20 and still in college. She is not emotionally, physically or financially able to raise the baby. The father is a manipulating liar, thief and has 3-4 warrants out for his arrest, one being of a felon charge. How can I go about taking away his parental rights? The best for the baby is no contact with the father. The father has stolen from me. So the baby can have a happy, healthy life, it is best for the child not to know his/her father. What do I need to do to have this accomplished? Will not be able to find the father, as he is laying low to avoid arrest.

Thanks,
    grandmatobe
    collinsmom Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Well, the father will have to sign off his right to the child. Otherwise, he can come back and cause a lot of trouble. Do you know if he would be willing to sign off on the child? Because I have a ex-brother-in-law that was not the best choice for my sister, I can relate. He would do things that would just make her life miserable... do you think this guy could do the same? I have adopted through open adoption and would be happy to tell you about our experience. Just know that the birthfather needs to be notified and sign off on this rights to the baby. However, in some states, printing an ad/posting in a newspaper trying to find the birthfather and "X" amount of days to respond could be the way you go if you are not able to find him. Then if he comes out of the wood work, it was posted that he was notified via newspaper and he did not respond. If you are working with an agency, they will know what you need to do. I wish you all the best. Be sure that your daughter takes care of herself.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
    There is a process for dealing with a absentee birth parent. Best to visit a attorney for accurate info. Your daughter is legally emancipated. Make sure she's on the same page before moving forward. Very best of luck. Ps be sure to get that restraining order filled out, signed and dated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

Relinquishing parental rights adoption [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We got divorced 4 years ago and I always paid child support on time. My ex got married and I got laid off from work after a few months later... I couldn't find a job and decided to go school instead of wasting time. In the best interest of our child I, my ex and her new husband agreed to allow...

Relinquishing parental rights for adoption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We got divorced 4 years ago and I always paid child support on time. My ex got remarried and I got laid off from work after a few months later... I couldn't find a job and decided to go school instead of wasting time. In the best interest of our child I, my ex and her new husband agreed to...

Termination of parental rights and adoption. [ 3 Answers ]

I am married to a man that has custody, joint managing conservertorship, of his daughter. She lives with us. I have raised her since she was 1. I was talking to her biological mother on the phone and she had agreed to terminate her parental rights and let me legally adopt her daughter, wich I call...

Terminating Parental rights/Adoption TX [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone. OK I have a 6 yr old son who hasn't seen his Bio father in 3 years. He send CS but not on a regualar basis. Well My husband wants to adopt my son. My ex wants to sign off on his rights so we are very pleased. OK how do we do this without hiring a lawyer? I have found out that we need a...

View more questions Search