Ask
    golfer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2003, 08:32 AM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    I am using Walmart ISP dialup connection. I have no
    Problem getting to the internet. However, once I am on
    And try to logon to hotmail or other sites the following
    Message appears: Cannot find server and sometimes
    "this page can not be displayed, ck network settings" and I can not save pics as jpeg. Help, help and thanks.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Sep 5, 2003, 10:20 PM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    Hmm... this can be caused by a lot of things. Internet explorer likes to give you that generic error message. :(

Does this happen with every website, or only with certain websites or when you try to perform certain actions, such as a "secure" login?

A few ideas:

Try a different internet browser, such as Mozilla. Maybe this will help the problem.

Although it is very unlikely this could be the cause of your problem, you might want to check your DNS (Domain Name Server) settings for your ISP. These settings tell your computer what servers to look for to get the correct IP addresses for doman names (such as yahoo.com). You should be able to find the correct DNS servers on walmart's website.
    Note that these settings are usually automatically detected. As walmart's isp was certainly designed for windows, then the windows dial-up thing should auto-detect the DNS... If you can get to ANY websites, then this is probably not the problem.

~psi42

Sep 6, 2003, 08:22 AM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    Follow up to my orig post. I can not access hotmail, perform any actions such as registering, ordering , downloading pics etc. I tried to download a pic that is jpeg but browser wanted to download as bitmap.
    Any other suggestions? :-/

Sep 6, 2003, 10:57 AM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    Can you get to any websites at all? Google? Yahoo?

Sep 6, 2003, 11:33 AM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    Yes I can get to websites but I can not perform any actions like read hotmail or enter secure sites for purchases etc. etc. Thanks

Sep 6, 2003, 06:46 PM
    IE 6.0 Problem
    This may be caused by a problem in your security settings. In internet explorer, try tools-->internet options and take a look at the security settings.

You might also want to try Mozilla. This will hep to narrow down the problem: if Mozilla works, then something is wrong with IE, if Mozilla doesn't work, then something is wrong somewhere else. :)

Do you have a firewall running? Maybe it is blocking access to secure http...

~psi42

Sep 6, 2003, 07:06 PM
    Re: IE 6.0 Problem
    No I do not have a firewall installed... I will try installing
    Mozilla as you suggested... Thanks :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

View more questions Search