Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uiyo_90_09 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 03:50 AM
    Install Fedora 7 while Windows XP is present
    How do I install Fedora 7 in SATA HDD while Windows XP have already been persent and will be stayed after installing Fedora 7? Please provide details description and help me. Thanks to all.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Best to check the FAQ on the site where that Fedora distribution comes from. Most Linux installations come with a boot manager that detects a previous OS, keeps it, and allows you to select which OS you want at boot time.
    sonicblue13 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Fedora 7 will detect windows xp and will install a boot manager that will give you choices either to boot into windows or fedora.. you got to be very careful when it comes to partioning so you don't delete windows partition by mistake.. linux partitioning is very safe but tricky.. take a look here..
    Personal Fedora 7 Installation Guide
    matthewkenya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 06:21 AM
    I don't have a cd and a USB and it urgent I install fedora 13 on my PC
    matthewkenya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
    I want to install the new fedora 13 on my PC while still my windows is running since I don't have a USB and a CD is it possible for I to install it like that
    seenjhon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for sharing...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 02:42 AM

I had actually just installed Fedora 6 on my XP machine. I used gparted to do the partitioning, then reboot into xp (so I could fix the partition if there was a problem).

It made FS dirty, but that solved itself. Then I ran a standard Install of fedora. I don't know what you'll be using, but I had trouble doing any kind of formatting or partitioning using the fedora install environment. I had to use gparted again to create the EFS partition and the swap partition.

But both run smoothly, and no problems on either end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't install Windows XP Updates [ 5 Answers ]

(sorry, the question title should be "CAN'T" install updates) I had to replace a dead motherboard. That went fine and WinXP seemed to reinstall without incident. (Yes, it is a valid, legal copy of Windows). I was able to validate the install and run the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 from...

Can't install Windows XP Professional [ 3 Answers ]

Mine PC is all aboust to clash now so I want to start over by installing the Windows XP Professional but the message show up I have a new-er version so I can't install it. What to do now.

Install Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives from HDD.

Windows won't re-install [ 2 Answers ]

My system crashed and so I formatted my 20g hard drive on another machine and then used tried to reinstall windows from the CD. I get this error message " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". I have tried to remove all the hardware...

Install Access 97 onto PC with Windows XP [ 13 Answers ]

I have a PC with OS Windows XP and would like to install office 97 only to run the Access 97. But it's failed. Not working. Can anybody help me? Thank you.

View more questions Search