Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Betsy2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Can I loose my home if I cannot pay my bills
    I am $40,000.00 in dept on my credit cards. I got laid off from my job and cannot find another job. I have been looking but it is really hard to find another job. For a while I was collecting unemployment and it was helping to pay the bills,but now that has run out and my bank account it empty. I will not have anymore money soon to pay my bills. I own my home will I loose it to the people I owe money to? I have cancelled all but one of my credit cards. Could someone please tell me if I am going to loose my home and become homeless I am really getting worried.
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 22, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Betsy2007
    I am $40,000.00 in dept on my credit cards. I got laid off from my job and cannot find another job. I have been looking but it is really hard to find another job. For a while I was collecting unemployment and it was helping to pay the bills,but now that has run out and my bank account it empty. I will not have anymore money soon to pay my bills. I own my home will I loose it to the people I owe money to? I have cancelled all but one of my credit cards. Could someone please tell me if I am going to loose my home and become homeless I am really getting worried.
    You won't lose your based on what you told us here. The credit card company will file a lien on your assets (house) and try to collect what's due if you sell your home. You may want to consider 1) looking at a debt consolidation company to help you work out payments, or 2) declaring bankruptcy via chapter 13. Under chapter 13 - An individual with a regular income who is overcome by debts, but believes such debt can be repaid in full or part within a reasonable period, may file under chapter 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. Chapter 13 permits the debtor (you) to file a plan in which the debtor agrees to pay a certain percentage of future income to the Bankruptcy Court for payment to creditors. If the Court approves the plan, the debtor will be under the Court's protection while repaying such debts.

In any case doing nothing is the wrong action to take.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Hello betsy:

A credit card is UNSECURED debt. The credit card company can't all of a sudden put a lien on your house as though that's their security. It isn't. Your signature is all the security they have.

Even if the credit card companies sue you, and they will, you can't lose your house.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2007, 07:57 AM
    In some states,they might be allowed to put a lien on your home for unsecured debt, but most states won't even allow that. Even if you need to declare bankruptcy, you can usually exclude your home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Much Do I have to Pay of My Medical Bills each Month [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been told that if I am struggling to pay off medical bills all I need to do is send them something each month and there is no repercussion with the courts, i.e. they can't sue, garnish, etc. as long as I am sending them something. Is this true? Thank you.

How do I pay her bills? [ 9 Answers ]

My mother-in-law passed away last month and I was a signer on a $23,000 cd. Now, what do I do with the money so that I can pay her bills until the estate is all settled. Right now, it's in my checking account under another account number for tracking purposes, paying zero interest (I wasn't sure if...

Ex husband pay 1/2 prenatal medical bills [ 2 Answers ]

Does the father, my ex common law husband, have to pay 1/2 or anything towards the prenatal care of our unborn child? Medical bills, copays, prescriptions? He claims he doesn't. I don't know.

I am unable to pay my deceased fathers bills [ 9 Answers ]

Before my father passed away he left his house to me and all of the furnishing.The house is not paid for( two mortages on it, one for 50,000 and one for 10,000). I want to keep our home which we have had for over 30 years but because of my limited income I am unable to pay off my father's...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

View more questions Search