Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1chassi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Landlord Tenant Rights and Laws in California
    I found a home to rent in Sacramento, California of which is a 12 month Lease. I moved in Sept 01, 2007 and at the time of move in the Landlord himself wasn't present instead it was his brother and collected the move in costs at that time. His brother also had me sign the lease and stated will have it signed by his bother (landlord) and will mail me copy to the rental address. Since, I haven't received my copy, don't know to whom, where, and when payments should be made because of this, and my landlord has advised me by phone verbally that he doesn't accept personal checks for rent payments, only cash or money order, and states it is listed within the lease. However, my landlord is also aware he hasn't given me a copy, and I have requested it verbally by phone calls several times between the 2 of us, and unable to mail a letter requesting such because I have no mailing address for him, and is probably listed within the lease, but I haven't been given my copy, and am going on our 3rd month in November, however was late this month and advised him by phone, and he was OK with that, but declines to accept a personal check, and is how I became aware that he pnly accepts money orders and cash and was during our phone conversation, as I inquired if is in fact listed within the lease, and he advised it is, and I advised him once again, I still haven't got my copy so am unaware of the requirements now after moving, and being he wasn't present nor signed the lease at that time because his brother did the move in for him, and I'm also certain his brother isn't listed in the lease as an actual agent as he should be if will be or have any part or say so within the lease... Not to mention there are several prblms he has been made aware of by phone, and a major ant and spider problem as well, and by phone because is my only means avail to contact him, so unable to send my request to repair in writing because I have no address to mail to him... So my question is being I haven't received my signed copy of the lease, the landlord wasn't present to sign on date of move in, and brother advised a copy would be mailed, and hasn't almost 3 months later, is any form of the lease I signed valid, being it was unsigned by the landlord because wasn't present, he's failed to provide me a copy after several verbal requests, and is trying to tell me what he requires and states is listed within the lease, knowing I still have no copy, is the lease valid at all, and/or what should I do now, because the situation isn't getting any better. I need some advice or guidance to help me resolve this problem and not have any further issues or problems amongst myself and the landlord.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Hello 1:

No, you cannot void the lease just because you don't have a copy. If you don't have a mailing address for him, how do you pay the rent? He comes to pick it up?? Call him up. Tell him that you will give him his money order in exchange for a copy of the lease.

If he doesn't want to give you the lease, don't pay your rent. Move instead.

excon
    Randywebwork Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Tenants have pain no money and rufuse to vacat. There was a lease not they did not tender any funds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/tenant laws in PA [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is a member of a sorority in which they live in a house in the college town of Shippensburg, PA. The girls' lease was originally signed in May of each year, for some reason the landlord insisted on having that moved to Feb 1st. Now he notified them that he was approached by someone...

Landlord tenant laws [ 1 Answers ]

Can a new owner of an apartment complex raise you rent and how much in the state of New Jersey?

California Landlord, Tenant Fire [ 3 Answers ]

1- I rented to my friend and her boyfriend. I knew it was probably a mistake but I was trying to help them out. They had bad credit and no deposit. 2- Current record, rent has been consistently late, but right now current and less than half the deposit. 3- Fire broke out on porch while they...

Landlord-tenant laws [ 23 Answers ]

My apartment complex manager entered my apartment without giving any notice while I was at work, told a friend that she specifically said could stay there until he found his own apartment to get out and served him with criminal trespassing papers, told him to never be near the apartment complex,...

View more questions Search