Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlovelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 08:08 PM
    think it was a seizure
    I have a teacup yorkie, today he had a real bad seizure that took more than an hour for him to recover from then he went to sleep. I walk in my room my girl yorkie was barking when I looked over the boy yorkie was laying on his side with his tongue hanging out his mouth convulsing he was biting his tongue I put my hand between so he couldn't bite his tongue. He never had a seizure before but I think it was one. He recently saw a new vet because back legs were limp and it took a while before he could walk around when he got up in the morning they xrayed him said it was two pinched nerves in his vertebrae gave him 2 cortizone shots and an antibiotic shot sent home on 1ml 2x a day antibiotics till finished, or could it be when I clean the floor he doesn't wait for it to dry and gets the cleaner on his feet then licks his feet. This seizure really scared me just need to know what might have caused it I'm scared to go to sleep.
    Do you think vet did something wrong or what else could cause him to have a seizure never had them before, and what should I do? Not rich just spent 2 grand in 2 months on vet, also not his vet, took there because his vet couldn't give us an appointment for more than a week.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Sometimes a dog will have a seizure, and be fine never having another. Yes you should take him to the vet. However, you may only get a ''I don't know.''
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 06:54 AM
    jlovelly, it is very rude to show up at a free web site where people donate their time and have the expectation that someone will magically have the answer for you. I suggest you read the rules and this link that explains what the agree/disagree is for https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Labman was not wrong. Without the benefit of being able to examine your dog, you are not going to receive a definitive response here. Seizures in dogs is one of the most difficult things to correctly diagnose. As labman correctly stated, sometimes they will have a seizure and never have another. Seizures stem from a neurological disorder, and it can take a long time before the exact trigger is finally diagnosed, if it ever is! You didn't mention what type of cleaner you use on your floors or how much he is actually getting on his paws. I do doubt very much that the cleaner is the trigger but you should make sure that you keep him out of the room until the floor is dry. It very well might be a reaction to the steroid in the cortisone. You need to either call the vet and speak to him -- follow up calls are free or, bring him in to the vet for a follow up examination. But, as labman stated, don't be surprised if the vet tells you "I don't know what caused it." I would suggest that you call the vet who treated him and discuss what happened, and just keep a close eye on the little guy.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Jlovelly I have met quite a few people with teacup/toy breeds that have seizures problems with them. My understanding is that they were developed when runts of the litters were breed. Also It may just be one of the hazards of being the result of poor/over breeding. Bring this up to the vet, it could be a possibility.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Actually bushg, you are very correct. I have a friend who used to have them (teacup maltese). Two of their dogs regularly had seizures and both died prematurely. The vet surmised that it was most likely was due to improper breeding. But, it was just one of those things that you never know with a certainty unless you have a record of all the offspring and it happens with regularity. They were heartbroken and it soured them to ever owning another dog again. Very sad.
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 20, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I don't recall you mentioning how old the dog is? Seizures are more common in small breeds than large. I grew up with several dogs, mostly large breeds, but the one that is still alive and kicking, living with my parents, is a toy fox terrier named Weezer. He began having seizures in his older age, maybe starting around 7 or 8 years old I believe. At any rate, the vet still isn't able to pinpoint exactly what causes this for him. He's now 14 and the seizures are few and far between. So seldom in fact, that the vet said to just keep him comfortable while it's happening. He also developed kidney stones that once in a while, one gets lodged and causes him a lot of discomfort. Even knowing that, the vet can't say for sure if the two are related problems. I know how scary it is but the best thing is to discuss it with your vet and hopefully get some answers. Like everybody said though, you may not get an answer even from the doctor.

Forgot to mention (Ruby's and bushg's post reminded me), Weezer was a puppy mill rescue (potty training nightmare! ), so don't rule out poor breeding. Sad, but true. I'm surprised Weezer has made it this long as a matter of fact!
    Poly Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Oct 20, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Here is a link to an article on seizure disorders that you may find helpful:

Seizure Disorders

It doesn't mention toy breeds as a group, but it does say that some breeds are more susceptible to seizures then others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dizzy kid? Or seizure.. [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, first time forum user here. I was searching on the net for a possible answer to a question I have. I just called our local hospital and the nurse was not able to help me at all, we live in a small town with a general practice doctor and a few nurses. I was playing with my daughter on the...

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Texas Bank Account Seizure [ 2 Answers ]

I was threatened with a suit 18 months ago. I filed a letter of response with the court and never heard another word from them. I did receive a letter from an attorney for the plaintiff that said they were planning to obtain a judgment, but I did not receive any further documentation saying it'd...

Bank seizure of property [ 3 Answers ]

HI, hoping someone can help. We have signed a contract on a property with the vendor. However, the property has now been seized by the bank. We are wondering if our contract is still legally binding or do we have to start negotiating with the bank who now owns the property? This has all occurred...

View more questions Search