Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomjoneshow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
    Headphone and Mic for broadcast quality
    I'm looking for a headphone and mic combo that plugs into my PC that will give me broadcast quality. I use one now with my sound card, but it sounds tinney and not rich tones.

Can you recommend such a headphone with mic combo. I will be putting my speaking programs on video using a video program and a web cam... but the headphone/mic combo I use now doesn't sound broadcast quality.

Do I have to change sound cards to get a broadcast quality sound? If so, what do you recommend.
    Or do you know of a source for a broadcast quality headphone with mic combo that I can use with my current soundcard to get a broadcast quality.

Thank you. First time using this forum.
    TJ
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Quality
    Hi,
    Plantronics is one of the leading headset with microphone manufacturers of quality sound.
    If your current speakers give you the quality you want, then your sound card is probably OK.
    Here is a link:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...032/prod440016

It is only one Plantronics headset. Others are available on the web for more money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2005, 06:55 AM
    What sound card do you have? Most are really meant for OUTPUT quality, not input. You might want to investigate sound cards that are designed for recording.

This site seems to be what you are looking for:

http://www.sonicsense.com/computer.h...OVMTC=standard
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 07:05 AM
    I'd also like to second Fred's call on Plantronics. I've heard good things about their headsets and I currently have one waiting to be picked up from the Post Office.

Just a quick note - don't get too tied up over quality. Unless this is a commercial venture, chances are that you won't be able to broadcast in a high quality format anyway due to bandwidth considerations.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Plantronics
    Hi,
    Another word for Plantronics. Some wireless cell phone call centers (such as Cingular) use Plantronics headsets and mics with sound control volume for around $150 each now. (was $75 wholesale a couple of years ago!)
    Very good quality. I have one at home, and am very pleased with it. My particular one is for phone calls, with a small telephone (Practica T-50), and a volume control (Plantronics M12).

Nov 1, 2005, 06:48 AM
    I'll chime in here again. Plantronics is a well known, well regarded maker of telephone add ons. I also have 2 Plantronic headsets at home and use one at my office. They make excellent equipment.

The problem here is that most of the uses of their headsets do not require broadcast quality. Phone use, internet chat game playing, even dictation can get by with a lower quality of sound reproduction. The sound processors on phones and computers and games boxes are not usually not capable of broadcast quality sound.

A few months back I was working with some people doing a similar task, they were trying to record voice overs for instructional DVDs. They spent money on some very high quality mics to no avail. What they needed was to upgrade their sound board to record digital sound.
    darren thomas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
    :D hi all 4some reason my mic in myheadset has stopped working I don't need a sound card cause its in built please help as I have tried eveything I can think of HELP HELP HELP LOL

Jan 23, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Darren,
    Its not a good idea to piggy back on someone else's thread unless your question is in direct realtion to theirs. Especially if the thread is an old one.

I suggest you start a new thread, with info lile what version of windows. What brand and style of mic, what software you use the mic with. What have you tried. And as much info as youi think might be relevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quality Control [ 2 Answers ]

I'm new in Quality Control Department but I have very good background in Quality Control. Theoryical I have no problem. My problem is how I can implement ISO 9001 to our company? Our company president gave me this work. Thank you in advance. Regards, Vugar

How is the quality of Lime-wire ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an entire list of free download sites, what's the word on Lime-wire ? stillmind

Quality Control [ 2 Answers ]

What are the attractions and challenges of automated inspection?:confused: :confused:

Need "broadcast-quality" voice-recording device [ 4 Answers ]

Actually I don't plan to broadcast, but I do plan to interview people and put the resulting audio on a CD, and I'd like it to sound as good as possible on a low budget. I've got a laptop and a microphone, which sounds OK, but I'm looking for something a *lot* more portable. Something easy to...

View more questions Search