Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dak-chan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 07:42 AM
    I think there's something wrong with my disc drive
    I have an averatec 3300 laptop and for some reason it reads some cd's and not others. It didn't really bother me too much until I bought Webroot Spysweeper and tried to load it on and my computer just doesn't even seem to recognize that there is a cd in the drive, and it's really frustrating me because my computer is getting a lot of spyware on it! What's wrong and what do I need to do to fix it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2005, 07:45 AM
    It just doesn't recognize that there is a disk in the drive? Have you tried a cleaning disk? If some disks work and others don't, is there any pattern? Like burnt disks work but commercial disks don't?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 30, 2005, 09:06 AM
    If nothing else works until you get the problem solved, try registering your product by signing on to Webroot and downloading a trial copy, then typing in your registration code from your original CD to use Spysweeper. This will at least keep you spyware free. Good Luck.

fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 06:04 AM
    Windows 95
    Hi,
    I am not completely sure this will solve the CD "no read" issue, but there is a good chance it will.
    http://www.download.com/Adaptec-UDF-...4-9497911.html

The above is for a UDF (Universal Disc Format) reader, for Windows 95 also.
    If you wish to download it and try it, it's only about 500 k, not very big.
    Scroll down about halfway for the download link.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Nero vs. EZ-CD Creator?
    Fred, correct me if I'm wrong, but if the PC has Nero, then the Ahead UDF identifier would be better than the Adaptec Ez-CD Creator software. I think I read somewhere that they would conflict.. But like I said, I could be wrong, and will check on this again.

Happy Halloween!

Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dak-chan
    I have an averatec 3300 laptop and for some reason it reads some cd's and not others. It didn't really bother me too much until i bought Webroot Spysweeper and tried to load it on and my computer just doesn't even seem to recognize that there is a cd in the drive, and it's really frustrating me because my computer is getting a lot of spyware on it! What's wrong and what do i need to do to fix it?
    What burning software did your laptop come with? It might need just a little thing as loading the software again to get the drivers back. Did you try downloading the Webroot Spysweeper trial version and keying in your code yet?

LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 07:01 AM
    My girlfriend's sister recently had a similar problem where her laptop computer couldn't read burnt disks that weren't finialised. The CD would go in the drive, there would be a bit of activity but nothing would come of it. Once she recopied the disks and finialised the writing, everything was fine.

I'll be interested in hearing the answer to Scott's question as this will point us in the right direction.

P.s. Chery - Nice little closing smilies :) You seem to have quite a collection.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Smilies
    Thanks, I get them from Smiley Central and have become addicted to those cute little things. My posts seem empty if I don't use at least one.

Smiley-addict Chery

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Problem with Disc Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, there. My Disc Drive (CD Rom drive, whatever it's called) won't open. I click the button that I normally do to open it and put a CD in, and all it does is flash a red light and not open. (truly irritating) My friend said there should be a hole to slip in something like a paper clip to...

Slow d drive disc [ 6 Answers ]

My computer isd slowing down too much I have 40% free space in the c drive and only 4% in the D drive I think I have to increase the size of the D drive to make the computer work better How do I do that

CD drive - Disc recognisation problems [ 12 Answers ]

Hiya. I've posted this on a couple of other forums, but I still can't find a soloution. Maybe you guys can help? This is what happens: When I start the computer, everything looks OK. If I go to "my computer", I see both my DVD and my CD writer listed, complete with contents. Any programs that...

Once I Have Made A Disc, Can I Make Copies Of The Disc Uncopiable? [ 6 Answers ]

Yeah erm, I have made a disc consisting of some word and excel files. I would like to sell this disc as it is interactive and can benefit people. How do I copy the disc so people can use it but cannot re write/copy it on their computer and sell it on? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search