Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    surfluver1212 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Understanding parents
    OK so some one please help me.. I am a Straight A student and I work my but off in school. For homecoming my mom decided this year that she is not going to spend money on me. She veiws homecoming as "you are only going to where your dress once" Well I'm so pissed off because I don't want to look like a slob. I know we can afford to buy a nice dress , etc. But this is where I nned help. She actually expects me to do for her. After she refuses to buy me a dress and makes my life a living hell she expects me to clean my room and etc for her. I just bring the homecoming situation up w/ her. I don't get it. I work so hard in school and in sports... I seems like I get absolutley no credit. What the heck should I do!
    answersplease Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by surfluver1212
    ok so some one please help me..i am a Straight A student and i work my but off in school. For homecoming my mom decided this year that she is not going to spend money on me. She veiws homecoming as "you are only going to where your dress once" Well im so pissed off b/c i dont want to look like a slob. I know we can afford to buy a nice dress and etc. But this is where i nned help. She actually expects me to do for her. After she refuses to buy me a dress and makes my life a living hell she expects me to clean my room and etc for her. I just bring the homecoming situation up w/ her. I don't get it. I work so hard in school and in sports...i seems like i get absolutley no credit. What the heck should i do!
    Are you sure you are the perfect little angle you are making yourself out to be. Try and talk to your mom. Maybe she has a reason for not buying the dress. Ask her if you can pay a part of it. Hope you can get a dress. I think homecoming is a big deal.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Not only do I not believe you are a straight A student because of all the spelling mistakes, but I also get the feeling that you need an attitude adjustment.

Of course you cheerfully clean your room -- plus you cheerfully do your own laundry, fold it, and put it away where it belongs; you cheerfully help with cooking and baking and cleaning up; you cheerfully do whatever chores need doing, like vacuuming, dusting, floor washing.

If you were my daughter, you wouldn't even be thinking of going to homecoming. No. Wait. Stop. If you were my daughter, you wouldn't have posted what you did because you would have been too busy living a genuine life.
    surfluver1212 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Me and my mom don't really get along... she has an opinion on everything... I wish me and her could be friends. Whenever I tell her something she will later on use it against me. I don't have the time to do all this done that she needs. And the paying for part of it part is kind of impossible because I have no money! This is my first homecoming and I'm about to go turn my ticket in!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
    What does she want you to do?

When is homecoming?
    answersplease Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 02:54 PM
    I hope you get to go, regardless. Maybe you can borrow a dress from someone are you tickets paid for?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Your mother does not have to buy you a new dress if she does not see the need, and she doesn't have to do it even if she can afford it. What if you only think she can afford it?
    You do well in school because you should, not to use a leverage to get what you want, and you keep your room clean not for her, but because you live there and it's part of the responsibility of living in a household.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I do agree it sounds like she needs some adjusting in the attitude dept. and no she shouldn't expect things for doing well in school now. Her doing well in school now will perhaps lead to her going to a good university and getting a degree and good career. Then perhaps she can buy her daughter everything she (her daughter) THINKS she HAS to have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't like my parents [ 15 Answers ]

:mad: I am a 13 year old who wants to let her parents who she hates them without actually telling them so I can finally tell them I what is in my head. What is the best approach?

How do I tell my parents? [ 10 Answers ]

Im 17, and I think I'm pregnant, can anyone please give me some advice on how I can break the news to my parents if I am? I know regardless they're going to be mad, but it would really help a bunch! Please and thank-you!:p

How to tell my parents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm 16 and kind of like this guy who used to be my classmate. However, I' m now shifting to a new school. His parents know about me and like me, but I haven't told my parents yet. They got to know about us before and told me to break it off. They say it's not in our culture to date so I...

How to tell her parents? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dating a stright a student who is like the perfect daughter. Her parents don't know about me.. I hope... I want to take her to the movies for our 1st month since we started going out... her parents are mean.. and I don't want to get her in trouble... what do I do?

Parents [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just wanted to say my parents are splitting up, and I'm finding it really hard! I have moved away to a dance college and I get phone calls off my dad telling me to stay instead of coming home at weekends! But when I do come home he doesn't even talk to me! He just shakes his head as I walk...

View more questions Search