Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberjonz Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Travelling to Italy
    I would like to visit Venice, Italy. If you have been, what time of the year did you go? How was your experience?

Thank you!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 06:31 AM
    I live in florence, italy, so I'll give you my two cents.

I have been to venice in spring (carnivale), fall (the biennale), summer (june) and winter (early december). Carnivale is amazing but PACKED. Fall was beautiful, as was early summer. Winter was very cold and icy. Because the city is completely on the water, there is a lot of humidity in the air, which makes temperatures feel more intense. There are certain times when the city is much more full of tourists. Before you buy your tickets, do a web search for your dates and venice. I know the city can flood because of high tides (like even up to 3 feet at a time, I'm not kidding) even a good dozen times a year or more. Not the whole thing, though - certain parts. They have special platforms they use for walking at those times. Some people have warned me about going during the hot summer months, as stagnant water (it's a lagoon) can have an unpleasant odor. At the same time, I wouldn't miss venice for the world. It is unlike anywhere else. It looks positively magical.

Here's a tip - don't over-pack. It is difficult to get heavy suitcases up and down the endless bridges. Also, bring comfortable (but nice) shoes.

p.s. my italian boyfriend (just woke up) recommends April, may or June. He says the worst time to go would be in deep winter or july/august.

By the way, aside from the tourist spots, all of northern italy closes down for the month of August. We all head south for the beaches. I love this country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Travelling to Canada [ 3 Answers ]

As a permanent resident of usa, do I need visa to travel to canada by road?

Passports for travelling [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Canadian travelling from an US airport to FLorida. DO I need a passport ?

View more questions Search