Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Oct 19, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Dog vacation
    So I have family coming in next month and we are going to our condo on the beach. Rules for the condo are no pets. I found a kennel near where we are staying that would allow us to come and play with Zeus a few times a day. My concern is that he is TERRIBLE when out of our sight. Z is perfect as long as he is with us and crazy insane when not. He starts barking and whining and if anything can be torn to pieces it will be. I plan on bringing his favorite blanket and bone to put in the cage with him but I wondered if anyone had any tips or tricks. My biggest fear is that we will have to leave the family get together because Z will be so bad the kennel place won't keep him.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Have you discussed this with the kennel? If they have been in business very long, I am sure they have had the problem before. They will have a much better idea of how well they can cope with him than anybody here. Body language, eye contact, tone of voice, etc. may be more revealing than what they say about it. I have never had a dog that wasn't comfortable with others. None of our many guests have ever been a problem here either. RubyPitbull may have some experience from that side with problem dogs. There may be some others here that have had to leave such a dog.

This may even be a case for tranquilizers from the vet.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
    labman's right. You need to discuss this with the kennel. They may advise you NOT to visit while he is staying with them and not to bring anything special with you except his food. The reasoning behind your not visiting while he is in their care is due to the disruption it may cause. It will be very unsettling and confusing for him to have you stopping by, but always leaving without him. That will create a major obstacle for them to overcome and you may find them asking you to come and get your dog after a couple of days of his "acting up". If you don't visit him, he may just settle down after a day and be fine until you pick him up to go home. Give them the opportunity to make the decision as to what is best for him. You can always set up a system with the kennel in which they will give you daily reports by phone as to how he is doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation time [ 5 Answers ]

I put my notice at my job and I'm going on vacation during that time of notice. Do I get paid for vacation and the remainder of the days that are left?

Too soon to vacation together? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months. Spring Break is coming up and I am going with my friends (4 girls, 2 guys) to Myrtle Beach, SC. My boyfriend at first had a BIG problem with me going- he still has some trust issues (afraid I'll cheat, etc.. ) So I talked to my friends and they...

I need a vacation! [ 2 Answers ]

I have some vacation time I can use, and I haven't been on a real vacation in about six years. I was thinking about a cruise just a short one, not too expensive. Any ideas. I will most likely have to go alone, so any tips on the that would be helpful as well. How much should it cost, what...

Canceling vacation [ 2 Answers ]

I put a deposit down on a cottage with a real estate agent .I tried to cancel 6 weeks before my vacation but was told I would only get my deposit back unless myself or the real estate agent found another person to rent those 2 weeks .my lease does not have a cancellation clause in it .my fault for...

View more questions Search