Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickknock39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 12:10 PM
    I need help... with Probability homework
    If you toss a fair coin 4 times, what is the probability of tossing 4 tails (Hint: tail and tail and tail and tail)?

If you have a bag of 5 black and 5 white marbles, what is the probability of drawing 2 marbles without replacement and getting 2 white marbles?

In a deck of cards, what is the probability of drawing a 3 or a king from a deck without replacement?

In a deck of cards, what is the probability of drawing a 10 or a club from a deck without replacement?

If a lottery ticket gives 1:99 odds, what is the probability of drawing two winning tickets (win and win)?

If you toss a fair coin twice, what are the odds of tossing two tails?
    What are the odds against a horse winning if the probability of the horse winning is 15/22?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 29, 2005, 01:28 PM
    It is not this forum's or any other's intent to do homework for anyone. We will be available to help in letting you know if you did it correctly and advising changes and/or amendments to your answers only. So do your homework, run it by us and we'll be happy to comment on it.

When I was in school, we had no computers or even electric calculators, we had libraries and our books, so aren't you lucky. You have a lot more at your fingertips and don't even use the new technology available to you. Believe me, you'll be prouder of your results if you "DIY".

young lady Posts: 10, Reputation: -2

Oct 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
    homework help
    First, the coin problem, a coin has two sides, the probability or tossing for tails is 1/2 because there are two sides you could get either side an equal number of times. You could also say 2/4.
    Second, the marble problem, this problem since it has an equal number of both types, the probability is 1/2.
    Third, the card problem, there are 52 cards in one deck. Each number and royalty has four of its kind in the deck. The probability of drawing a 3 is 4/52. Same goes for the king.
    Fourth the next card problem. Okay there are 12 clubs in a deck. So your answer for the clubs is 12/52. For the ten it's 4/52.
    Fifth, the lottery ticket problem, I think it would be 98/99 but I'm not sure.
    Sixth, another coin problem huh? Your answer is 1/2.
    Seventh, the horse racing problem, you just subtract 15 from 22 and you should get 7. So your answer would be 7/22.
    Good luck with your homework!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 30, 2005, 09:20 AM
    Get the Message Joung Lady?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chery
    Does this apply to free advertising as well? I was under the impression that this was not the reason for this forum. I did respond to one advert stating this was not the right place for them, so can I get a clear answer on this and the issue below please.

Also, when someone expects us to actually do their homework for them, and we reply that they do it and run it by us, is this wrong, or are we actually obliged to do their work? Would it not be better to refer them appropriately when possible?

ANSWER:
    Using this forum for ads is against the rules. Any posts that violate the rules are subject to removal by the mods. Posters who frequently vioate the rules are subject to be blocked.

Under the Education category there is a Homework Help sub category. But, In my opinion, homework help should be very restricted. In most cases, such help should consist of giving the asker direction so that they can find or figure out the answer. Just doing the work for them is wrong. Sometimes question are very specific and might need more detailed answers, but that would be the exception.

The purpose of homework is to help the student learn. Doing the work for them doesn't always help them learn. Anyone helping with a homework question should keep that in mind.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Oct 30, 2005, 03:34 PM
    Giving out pure answers without teaching the person anything does no one any good.

Let's name outcomes of our experiments with capital letters.
    Example: If we're tossing a coin we can name "tossing tails" as A.
    Let's call "P(A)" the probability of A happening.

I will give you theoretical explanations of some things that will help you solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nickknock39
    If you toss a fair coin 4 times, what is the probability of tossing 4 tails (Hint: tail and tail and tail and tail)?
    P( A happening 4 times in a row ) = P(A)*P(A)*P(A)*P(A)

If you have a bag of 5 black and 5 white marbles, what is the probability of drawing 2 marbles without replacement and getting 2 white marbles?
    At first, you have 10 marbles all together. First you draw 1 marble, and then you draw 1 more marble. What is the probability of first marble that you drew to be white? What is the probability of second marble you drew to be white? How many marbles are there inside when you draw another marble?

In a deck of cards, what is the probability of drawing a 3 or a king from a deck without replacement?
    How many cards are there in a deck? How many different cards can you draw for the outcome "I drew a 3 or a king" to be true?

Probability to draw one of N cards out of a deck of X cards (where the posibility to draw each cards is the same) is N/X.

In a deck of cards, what is the probability of drawing a 10 or a club from a deck without replacement?
    How many 10s are there? How many clubs are there? Are there any 10s that are also clubs? How many different cards can you draw for the outcome "I drew a 10 or a club" to be true?

If a lottery ticket gives 1:99 odds, what is the probability of drawing two winning tickets (win and win)?
    A = draw a lottery ticket
    P( A happening twice ) = P(A)*P(A)

If you toss a fair coin twice, what are the odds of tossing two tails?
    Same as above.

What are the odds against a horse winning if the probability of the horse winning is 15/22?
    A = horse winning
    Ac = complement of A = horse losing
    P(A) + P(Ac) = 1

Oct 30, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by young lady
    First, the coin problem, a coin has two sides, the probability or tossing for tails is 1/2 because there are two sides you could get either side an equal number of times. You could also say 2/4.
    Second, the marble problem, this problem since it has an equal number of both types, the probability is 1/2.
    Third, the card problem, there are 52 cards in one deck. Each number and royalty has four of its kind in the deck. The probability of drawing a 3 is 4/52. Same goes for the king.
    Fourth the next card problem. Okay there are 12 clubs in a deck. So your answer for the clubs is 12/52. For the ten it's 4/52.
    Fifth, the lottery ticket problem, I think it would be 98/99 but I'm not sure.
    Sixth, another coin problem huh? Your answer is 1/2.
    Seventh, the horse racing problem, you just subtract 15 from 22 and you should get 7. So your answer would be 7/22.
    Good luck with your homework!
    Your answers are wrong. All of them except the last one.

You misunderstood most of the questions asked here.

In first question you have to toss 4 tails, not 1.
    In second problem, you simply don't think right. What is the probability of second marble to be white, if you already know what your first marble is like?
    Third and fourth are again misunderstood. Question is about drawing one card and seeing if it is either a 10 or a club. It's not P(it's a 10) + P(it's a club).
    Fifth is just plain wrong, it means you have almost no chance to win 1 lottery ticket, but almost cannot fail to get 2 winning tickets. Who would buy only 1 ticket then?
    Sixth is the same as first.
    Seventh is the only correct answer.

Please, do not answer questions you are not sure of.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 31, 2005, 04:56 AM
    To CroCivic91

Oct 31, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    To CroCivic91

Thank you ;)
    richiedey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 09:30 AM
    There are 3 strawberry yogurts , 2peach and 4 cherry in a fridge... Kate takes a yogurt at random from the fridge.. she eats the yogurt... she then takes the second yogurt at random from the fridge.. work out the probability that both the yogurts were the same flavour..
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Why would you hijack a three year old post? I would suggest starting your own thread for this problem.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Here is a really good reason not to tack on a new question to any post. I just read through this entire thing, to see if I had any input to the original question. Just to find that it was a whole new question and nothing to do with all the previous stuff. I read 8 posts for nothing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probability [ 6 Answers ]

A bowl contains ten chips numbered 1,2,. 10 respectively. Five chips are drawn at random, one at a time, without replacement. What is the probability that 2 even-numbered chips are drawn and they occur on even-numbered draws? I tried (OEOEO) 5/10*5/9*4/8*3/6=5/126 and then I tried all...

Probability [ 1 Answers ]

A contest consists of finding all of the code words that can be formed from the letters in the name "ATARI". Assume that the letter A can be used twice, but the others at most once. a. How many five-letter words can be formed? b. How many two-letter words can be formed? c. How many words...

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

How many ways are there of rolling three 6's with one die, where X is the number of rolls.

Probability [ 2 Answers ]

License plate numbers consist of two letters followed by a four-digit number, such as SB7893 or AY1042. How many different plates are possible if letters can be repeated but digits cannot, and the four-digit number must be greater than 5500. The answer to this question is 1,514,240. ...

View more questions Search