Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbrouk9199 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Custody fights
    In Texas, can my husband who is a lot older than I get custody of our 8 year old, he is planning on retiring soon so he will look like he can spend more time with her, does this matter, I would like for her to live with me and he can see her whenever she wants.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The court will most likely give joint custody. Try working something out with him to present to the Judge. Like if you live close enough to him maybe he could have her while you are working (during summer vacation) and you could pick her up after your work. Most often the Judge will alternate weekends if you have joint custody throughout the week. Or if he has her through the week you might get weekends or vice a versa.
    Then the Judge will alternate holidays and give you at least one or two weeks each for vacation. But it depends a lot on your schedules too.
    cerisa Posts: 247, Reputation: 71

Oct 19, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Whatever you do, try to do it amicably. If you can be civil to one another, the divorce will be cheaper, the pain will be less, and the child will be less traumatised. Bonus, the judge will be more inclined to go along with your agreements. Time alone is not the deciding factor. Who has the most stable household is. If your life is full of turmoil, he will likely get custody, and vice versa.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
    There is no way any of us can predict what a judge will do. But there has to be a compelling reason to change a standing custody order. A judge is required to consider the best interests of the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letting boyfriend get into fights? [ 6 Answers ]

Tonight my boyfriend and I were out driving and three teenage punk kids jumped in front of my car (! ). I guess they were just being stupid, but I had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting them and then they just stood there, and walked very... VERY slowly out of the way, while snarling at us....

Dog Fights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Boxer mix that probably has some Pit Bull in it. He was a stray and I adopted him around 2 months ago and he is probably around 2 years old. He has met children 2-6 years old and we have a cat in the house and he has shown no aggression. He is nervous around men at first when they enter...

Kitten fights [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 4 and a half month old female kitten and last week brought home an 8 week old male kitten for a playmate. At first the older kitten was hissing and very upset but that stopped after the first couple of days. When we leave them together now they begin to 'play fight' but if left for more...

Unhappy or homeless or fights [ 4 Answers ]

So, I have a problem. I am a 19 year old girl who is attending college while suffering at home. I will give the background history. I am a volleyball player of over 10 years. Varsity all 4 years in high school, college last year. Well, I always played because my older sisters did, my...

Custody adoption and custody [ 2 Answers ]

My sister and her husband are having dilemma. She has a child from a relationship before she got with her husband at some point. The daughter now loves her step dad more than her real father who is living with a woman now also. My sister is trying to stay very opened minded and has done great for...

View more questions Search