Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    Well it's not like my mom's controling... I just think she has always truly had my interests at heart. I mean my mom yelled at a teacher when I was in elementary school cause the teacher was pointing out all that was wrong with me and my was so mad cause the meds weren't helping me during school. She moved me around from school to school cause she kept getting mad at these teachers for not being more helpful and understanding with me. I've never been able to pay attention in class. Mom let me go ahead and stay off my meds she only wants to get me back on them cause I really am having problems.

I'm just glad that mom's putting me on a good med now.
    I didn't mean to imply that your mom was not doing what she thinks is best for you. I was more stressing the issue that YOU need to be the one to inform your doctor of your concerns. You need to be the one to have the relationship with your doctor, as when you turn 18 you will be the one continuing your care, not your mom. So you want to make sure you and your doctor are on the same page :)
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Well me and cynthia are on pretty good terms but it's my therapist that has to prescribe the meds for my "ADHD". My doctor isn't allowed to. I had a therapist I knew a few years back but even when I talked to her she didn't seem to hear me and just listened to my mom. Now I'm supposed to get a new one cause Maria sucked! Speaking of me being 18 soon. When I turn 18 would I still keep my current medical card or would I need a new one?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
    So then it was your therapist that diagnosed you with ADHD? Or are you on other medications perscribed by your therapist and she just wants to handle all your meds? Other than those 2 reasons I don't see why your regular doctor cannot prescribe the meds.
    One option is to have your therapist write a letter to your doctor allowing her to take over your care for ADHD. That will allow her to prescribe the meds. I would definitely want you to get those meds from a doctor you are on a good level with and one that understands your needs and concerns... and now that you say you are getting a new therapist I would definitely have your current one sign over that care to your doctor.

Oct 19, 2007, 10:43 AM
    I think it's cause my doctor doesn't know much about it. And I don't know how I got my meds when I was little I've only had this doctor for about 5 years. Maria just talked to my mom about my behavior then Maria decided if we uped my dose or not. I only had Maria during the time when I was on Aderal.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Also ADHD is not a phase. It is a disorder. It does not just disappear, but people can control it with strategies, medication, and professional help.[/QUOTE]

Sorry didn't mean it like that... for some people being hyperactive is a phase, however not everyone actually has the disease. Sometimes it's just a bad excuse for parents to blame hyperactivity on a medical condition.

Sorry if I offended anyone else. The girl wanted an opinon and I gave her mine, just like everyone else gives there two cents. :)
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Found this at Are Our Kids the Sickest Generation? - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - ADHD , just some interesting things about the disorder.

"ADHD: Up by a whopping 400 percent

Increased understanding of mental disorders in children has also led to a rise in the pediatric diagnosis of ADHD, by as much as 400 percent or higher over the last 25 years, according to some estimates. It is the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder in childhood, affecting between 3 percent and 5 percent of school-age children in the United States. Worldwide use of prescriptions to treat ADHD in children has increased by 274 percent, with the United States prescribing more medication for ADHD than any other country.

“More attention was paid to mental health issues in children during the '90s when people realized that a lot of conditions that related to the brain start in childhood,” says Dr. Ben Vitiello, a psychiatrist at the National Institute of Mental Health and a leading expert in child and adolescent ADHD.

Vitiello says that some of the increase could be due to partial diagnosis of ADHD in children. He discounts the theory that environmental toxins are the cause of the majority of ADHD, though new research has been done examining whether food additives and coloring contribute to ADHD. “The impact of these environmental toxins is very small, if present at all,” he says.

Sometimes children with bipolar disorder are misdiagnosed to have ADHD. Children with sleep disorders can present with ADHD symptoms, so sometimes they are diagnosed with the mood disorder as well."

There was some other stuff about other diseases too, kind of interesting.

Oct 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Wow... wonder if I'm bipolar O.o... I'd hope not...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adhd [ 2 Answers ]

What is ADHD? How does it affect children and adults? What kind of help is out there?

LD/ADHD ? Learning Disabilities ? [ 16 Answers ]

My son, aged 11 +, cannot concentrade on his study. A little noise or people talking will distract him.But comes to PC games, he is smart ! If no parent at his side, his writings would be terribly urgy. He sometimes mix up addition and subtraction. He can not sit still, always on the move. ...

6 1/2 yr old adhd & odd [ 4 Answers ]

:( Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old mom of 3 kids. My middle child is 6 1/2 years old and has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as well as Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It is sooo hard to deal with him. It has gotten worse when I had the baby in January. He gets all...

My son has ADHD? [ 28 Answers ]

Tomorrow I am going to talk to my 8 yr old son's psychologist about his results from his evaluation which includes ADHD. The psychologist works with my husband and told him that my son does have ADHD. Even though I live with my son and see how he struggles, I am not too sure if I believe he...

View more questions Search