Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2005, 11:37 PM
    Generator for the house, Guardian?
    Hello all,

I asked this question a long time ago, but it seems that I'm finally going to give in and buy one. I thought I could get away with just a portable generator, but after Wilma blew through South Florida, my house will not have power back until November 15th. Luckily, the weather is favorable, but this can easily get worse if the heat picks up.

I started searching around and found this generator which doesn't seem too expensive for what it can do. I'm lucky that I have Natural gas for my house.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....roducts_id=372

My house is about 1600 sq ft. I have a very new 3.5 ton AC unit, a fridge that is a year old, an electric water heater(soon to be changed to gas), and a clothes dryer that is already gas.

I don't have any amperage readings right now since I'm away from my house and won't be back for several days.

Obviously, I won't be running all the appliances at the same time as I might do under normal situations. So I guess my questions are:

Are these types of natural gas generators any good?
    Are they noisy? Like any noisier than a portable gasoline generator?
    What are some possible pitfalls I have not thought of?
    Is the Guardian name any good
    Is this model any good?

Thanks guys!

David

Nov 7, 2005, 06:08 AM
    No suggestions? Any help is appreciated...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Others and I let your question go, I guess because we lack experience with such a unit. It looks like a great unit. With the housing, it could be quieter than the portable gasoline ones. The transfer switch is quite important. People get into trouble trying to rig up connecting the portable ones into the house wiring. I got a good deal on a 6250 watt unit, and it may cost me as almost as much to legally connect it in as I paid for it.

Looks like you could hold out a long time on it. On another forum I am on, somebody brought up the idea that a gasoline generator isn't much good if the local gas stations don't have power to run their pumps. I think the natural gas is fairly secure unless there is a earthquake.

Nov 9, 2005, 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I will have to do some more research to see if anyone who bought these types of systems are happy with them.

Thanks for the reply!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace with Generator problem? [ 27 Answers ]

I have a York Two-Stage Deluxe Diamond (PDU) furnace that I have recently wired to a 6 CKT transfer switch (Reliance Controls) to use with my Coleman 6250 (5000watt) gas generator. All my ckts. Work well with the generator connected, except the furnace. I switched ckts on the transfer switch-no...

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Portable Generator [ 6 Answers ]

I am interested in purchasing a 5000 to 6200 watt portable generator to use during power outages. What are the safety concerns such as rain, snow, how far from any structues must it be used, and can it be placed on a deck? Also would like to here any recommendations as to what model and...

How big of a Generator should I get? [ 7 Answers ]

Well Hurrican season is rolling around again and this year, I am considering getting the power generator to add to my supplies. My question is this. How much power do I need to power my refrigerator and a few lights and fans? My new fridge has a 652 kWh/year power rating (from the yellow...

View more questions Search