Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clem32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
    HIPPA Privacy act
    What are the 12 circumstances that personal health information can be used for purposes unrelated to health care?
    CaseyO Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
    As an independent contractor, I am paid a % per client from the Establishment owner. She wants me to turn over all my client files to her and I feel this is a breach of privacy to MY clients even though I work on them in her establishment. Do I have any legal standing to not having to give her my client files? Does this fall under the Privacy Act?
    She basically has no need of my files unless she was to work on one of my clients and then, I feel, there would be a "need-to-know" and would gladly share the file with her since the client would be seeing her (but most of my clients choose not to see her for various reasons). I'm in a quandry and trying to stall letting go of my files. PLEASE HELP and tell me where I stand, legally!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyO View Post
    As an independent contractor, I am paid a % per client from the Establishment owner. She wants me to turn over all my client files to her and I feel this is a breach of privacy to MY clients even though I work on them in her establishment. Do I have any legal standing to not having to give her my client files? Does this fall under the Privacy Act?
    She basically has no need of my files unless she was to work on one of my clients and then, I feel, there would be a "need-to-know" and would gladly share the file with her since the client would be seeing her (but most of my clients choose not to see her for various reasons). I'm in a quandry and trying to stall letting go of my files. PLEASE HELP and tell me where I stand, legally!
    It's not encouraged to attach a new question on someone else's thread. The recommended procedure is to start your own thread.

Which "Privacy Act" is it to which you are referring? Are you a health care provider?

Jul 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
    Yes, I am the health care provider. Privacy Act of HIPPA. The owner of the business is also a health care provider and sees her own clients, keeps her own appt. book PRIVATE (I keep my own appt book but also record clients I'm seeing in the office book for her info and so we don't double-book in case she gets a call that she can't take and wants to know if I'm available. I have no problem with that arrangement. I keep my records of payments up to date, show up in plenty of time to see clients in a relaxed fashion, advertise for myself on the web and business cards, etc. help clean the office, etc. I've been practicing 26 years and feel that my integrity is strong in wanting to keep my client's files private, as they've requested.
    Thank you for your response. This is a totally new concept of website you have here and I'm learning how to use it. Hope I've done it correctly.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyO View Post
    As an independent contractor, I am paid a % per client from the Establishment owner. She wants me to turn over all my client files to her and I feel this is a breach of privacy to MY clients even though I work on them in her establishment. Do I have any legal standing to not having to give her my client files? ...
    Yes. Unless your contract with the establishment owner gives her the right to copies of the files, tell her the answer is no. Even if it does, tell her that you would need client permission first.

Jul 25, 2010, 03:31 PM

THANK YOU! I have no written contract with her but I do want to protect my client's privacy and she has NO need of their files (except their Intake forms which she inputs into her data bank).
    Bless you for a prompt answer :-)
    That takes a big load off my mind this weekend.
    I appreciate your service. Good bye and have a good week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

IS this a Hippa violation? [ 4 Answers ]

In my office we have mental health professionals who have a bachelor's degree or above. My boss is thinking about letting our office manager read our plans, reviews, and notes for "typographical errors and accuracy." I believe that this is a violation of HIPPA as A. she does not have a degree in...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 4 Answers ]

I worked at a hospital as director of a department. To be able to download and access particular records in the department my password was used. Tow employees used the password and when I asked the IT department to allow me to change my password they refused since the program we were using to...

Hippa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question that no one may be able to answer, but I would like some feed back from some of you. My local hospital has recently fired and/or suspended several employee for looking up their own medical records, claiming it is a HIPPA violation. I am very confused about this because how is it...

Hippa law [ 1 Answers ]

My employer decided to change our personal medical insurance as most do periodically. I received a six page application with many questions concerning my personal medical history, including diagnoses; Doctor’s name dates hospitals and the list goes on. This application provided was by the...

View more questions Search