Ask
    bearndecember Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Howling puppy
    How to keep puppy from howling without shock collar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
    I hate to see puppy and shock collar in the same sentence. What is the problem? Outside, bring it in. In the crate at night, I cover that in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...dogs-expert-la

Give us some more details if you need more help.
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Oct 18, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Is it true that sometimes a dog howls because it feels lonely??
    bearndecember Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
    She bays and howls when she isn't getting her way. She gets play time and she doesn't do it for long when I leave. If I put her in her kennel in a separate room is when she throws a tantrum. Anytime she is enclosed any where she acts a fool. I've tried blocking her in the living rm. Plenty of rm and toys,but she isn't satisfied if I'm not there. She's too old for this.
    Help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Dogs don't share responsibility. Either she is in charge, or you are. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

It is appeasing her a bit, but she can't howl if she is busy licking peanut butter out of a Kong. A period of play followed by quietly licking out the peanut butter may be followed by a nap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Howling Composite Deck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer who built a deck on the back of his house. The deck is about 8 feet off the ground. The house sits up on a hill and gets a fair amount of wind. The problem is that when the wind hits the side of the house it is forced up underneath the deck and blows upward. The result is what I...

After I flush the toilet, there's a howling noise. [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, there's a howling noise. Sound almost like a fog horn. Sounds like it's coming from the basement. What's wrong?

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy alone in crate or left with another puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a puppy from a neighbor who moved. He is a 2mth Caring Terrier/Chichuaua mix. My other neighbor took his brother. My neighbor doesn't want her puppy to be alone during the day and wants him to stay in the crate with mine while we are at work. I don't think this is a good idea because he...

View more questions Search