Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btruglio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 12:56 PM
    IE6 First Page Very Slow
    OK, this has been a long battle, and I'm looking for back-up.
    Windows network, 2003 servers, Windows 2000 workstations, all with SP4 and IE6-sp1 installed. Every workstation has all updates available from MS.

A few workstations function normally. Most are experiencing the problem stated, that being the First page in Internet Explorer loads slowly. It can be any page, and we've tried many... no change. The first page can take about 20-30 seconds to load. After that, going to links or favorites or any other web site responds normally.

Norton Antivirus 9 installed, scans come up clean.
    Ran Ad-Aware and Adware-Alert. Removed a number of minor things, but no change in performance.

Tried reinstalling IE6, Reinstalled Win2K SP4, checked for and installed updates... all with no change in performance.

So... any ideas? I'm all out!

Bill T.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 28, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Worth a try
    Make sure that the settings on the correctly working PC's are replicated to the ones that are slow.
    I have a feeling that it may be trying to Automatically detect settings on the connection and, on not finding any, timing out and connecting as normal.

Hope this helps a little
    btruglio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Not it
    No. We have a standard image we deploy for all workstations, so we know they have identical configurations. The Autodetect is off, and while I'm here, I'll mention a few other things we looked at.
    - All subnets (we have 4) are suffering the same issue.
    - I took one station and installed Windows 2000 from the CD, and it worked fine, no delay at all, so we're sure it's a local element of the workstation that's causing this problem, not a switch or server.
    - I went through every update one at a time, adding them to the raw image, and none of them resulted in the slow-down, so we've eliminated the MS updates.
    - I've removed Norton Anti-Virus from some workstations to see if that might be the cause... again, no change.

If I think of anything else we've tried, I'll add that as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Web page for lan? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! Can Anyone Tell Me How Can I Setup Web Page For Our LAN Network? I Visited An Internet Café I Asked What You Have On Your Server? He Said Type www.vtcs.net I Put That Address & A Web Site Opened Up Showing All The Contents Of His Server In WEB PAGE form and when I Tried To Open...

Web page [ 14 Answers ]

My ISP gives me 10Mb of webspace, I would like to just put a few pictures up and maybe some email addresses. Everyone says to buy Dreamweaver or Frontpage, but isn't there a way to create the file in IE and save it as a .htm and upload that? Or maybe even in Word? In Word 2003 when you go to new...

Centralising Web page [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble centering the web page in preview mode. It seems to be left justified and we have tried to change the html settings to align centre however this has not worked. I am using program ixla Web Easy for this website. HELPPPPPPPP :mad:

View more questions Search