Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askmaya Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 10:57 AM
    How to convert
    Dear Sir,
    I have a excel spreadsheet data, I want to convert the excel data in Microsoft access and use the same as a database for a website. I am a beginner to access and I need full information about all things including saving the data.
    Regards,
    Askmaya
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 11:31 AM
    One of our members has written a book recently about Access InformIT: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA - $31.99

Hopefully, he will be along shortly and can give you a hand.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Ok we have three issues here. 1) Import the data into Access 2) Convert the data to a relational format 3) Use the data on a website.

1) This is easy. From the Tables list, select File>New>Import. Follow the prompts the import the Excel data
    2) This is more complex. Excel is a flat file database, access is a relational database. To make use of Access's strengths, you need to normalize your data. I suggest you do some research on normalization. After Importing Access will offer to Analyze your data and make suggestions for normalization. But you need to understand this process first.
    3) This depends on how you want to use the data. And is the most complex of all. Access is not the best tool for an interactive web-based database, though it can be used that way. I'd need more info to advise further.

Oct 20, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your reply. Let me give you more details about the excel data sheet. The data is in excel format and we can convert in any format. Please suggest me, what would be the best format to use in access. There are about 10 to 12 categories. Each category is having some 300 to 400 entries, such as member name, office address, factory address, line of business, other activities, etc.

Now this data is to be put in the website, so that other members can access the data. Each member will have a user id and password. If required I can forward the entire data to you.

Regards,
    Askmaya

Oct 20, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Without seeing the data I can't be specific. Like I said you need to NORMALIZE the data. During or after the import.

As for the WEB again Access is not the best tool for an interactive database. Do you need intereactivity or do you just want to post the data so others can view it?

Oct 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Dear Sir,
    There is no interactivity, only the data is meant for memebers to view. Each member is given the user id and password to login to view the data. The only interactivity is forget password. Here if any user has forgotten the password or user id he has to click forget password where he will put few data then the system will autogenarate a password/user id to the concerned by the email. Kindly give me your email id I will forward you the data. I don't insist that only access has to be used, even asp is OK with me. Hope you don't mind to convert the data and return back to me.
    Thanking You,
    askmaya

Oct 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Ok, so if all you want to do is allow them to view the data, then you can export a report to an HTML page and post that.

Oct 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your reply. If access is complicated, can you sugesst some other software, to use the data base, Log in and forget password features.
    Please reply.
    Askmaya

Oct 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Its programming. You have gto create interacvtive web pages using one of several different platforms, like ASP, PHP, CGI tc.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Oct 31, 2007, 08:15 AM
    MSDN Webcast: Russ and Joe Developer Show: Introduction to Visual Basic .NET (Level 100)

MSDN Webcast: Microsoft Visual Basic .NET (Part 1 of 4): ASP.NET 2.0 Fundamentals (Level 100)
    There are 4 parts

MSDN Webcast: Guided Hands-on Lab: An Introduction to ASP.NET for Visual Basic Developers (Level 200)

MSDN Webcast: Beginning Web Site Development (Part 2 of 2) (Level 200)
    There are 2 parts

MSDN Webcast: Building Data-Driven Web Applications with SQL Server Express (Part 1 of 3) (Level 200)
    There are 3 parts

MSDN Webcast: Building Data-Driven Web Applications with SQL Server Express (Part 2 of 3) (Level 300)
    There are 3 parts

Essential ASP.NET: Explore Configuration to Web Forms
    All ASP.NET

Brian Goldfarb's Blog : ASP.NET 2.0 How Do I Video Series is here -- a must see
    ASP web page build

SQL Server Express - Learn
    SQL Training

SQL Server: Upgrade Your Skills To 2005
    All SQL

This should keep you busy, its all on my bookmarks and more so only took a couple of minutes. Move over to Visual Basic Studio Express, its free and fully functional for your needs, these tutorial do the work for you. I have a macro recorder that can copy and paste data from one program (access) to SQL one block at a time and it can be made to go fast and its automatic one you show it what to do on the first row of info, the rest is automated, just sit back and have a drink.

Nov 6, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Thank You for your reply. You have a recorder that can copy and paste data from one program (access) to SQL one block at a time and it can be made to go fast and its automatic one you show it what to do on the first row of info, the rest is automated, just sit back and have a drink.

Can you share your recorder with me?

Nov 6, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Aldos Macro Recorder, there is a small learning curve, I literally use it everyday, 7 days a week and populate over 4,000 blocks of info daily, one at a time in 5 hours, automated.

No ads, no spyware, no viruses and its free to download. Extremely small but extremely powerful.

Nov 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Thank you Mr. ScottGem.
    I know vb. Somebody told me asp is also based on vb. I have never worked on ASP. But I want to work on ASP. I have vb.net installed. Can you please tell me how do I begin the project. I may sound stupid, but I have failed to begin the project on my own. I will be glad if you can guide me. Hope you will surely guide me.
    Regards,
    Askmaya

Nov 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
    ASP uses VB scripting a scripting language similar but not the same as VB.

Nov 13, 2007, 06:19 PM
    My links will teach you what you need. Do you have Visual Studio 2005 or the new Beta VS2008, they are free so get one on MS website. I am in the process of moving my house so I would like to work with you as I am a beginner myself but I may not be much help until about mid January?? The tutorials are a major plus, check out those links on page one here.

Nov 19, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Dear Mr. Scott Gem,
    I want to make a login page in asp, Kindly guide me how to begin. I know vb. Don't know anything about asp.
    Please reply

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to convert units [ 15 Answers ]

Here is the question: Our sun is 93 million miles away... the speed of light travels at 186 thousand miles per second, how long does it take the speed of light to get from the sun to the earth? Show me the answer in minutes.

Flirt to convert [ 2 Answers ]

What are the signs and symbols etc that a guy really likes you and doesn't just want you for sex or whatever? Please help me out, id like to know as many as possible! Thanks

Convert ra. To mp3. [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one tell me how to convert ra. Files to mp3. Files so that I can acess them on my I-pod?

How to convert? [ 1 Answers ]

Convert 1-methylcyclohexanol to 1-bromo-2-methylcyclohexane. Should I use HBr and peroxides?

Convert .rar file to MPEG or AVI to play on DVD [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I downlaod some file from internet in .rar format. I want to burn cd and play on dvd but for that I have to convert .rar format in to .mpeg or . Avi format. Could anybody know how to convert .rar format into other format. Please help me

View more questions Search