Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahelizabethbrown23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
    14week Papillon pooping inside
    I have trained my puppy to urinate outside, but she refuses to deficate outside. She will cry when we are outside, to go inside to deficate. I don't know what to do and how to make her comfortable pooping outside. Please help.
    Thanks Sarah
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Walk, walk, walk. To a large extent, I am not sure how much control young dogs have over their bowel movements. So when you take her out, make her walk around. Keep her moving until she stops to sniff around. They can only walk and hold it so long. When nature finally has it way, praise her extravagantly. Rave about what a good dog she is, perhaps a treat.

When you are around you need to keep a close eye on the dog. Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

It is only natural that a puppy resists its crate at first. What the puppy
    Wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the
    Household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    Other things distract us from the attention an uncrated puppy must have. The
    Only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Papillon/Poodle has Potty Issues after Spay [ 1 Answers ]

My 8-month-old papillon-poodle mix was potty-trained (and had never had an accident in her crate) up until about two weeks ago when she was spayed. The first week afterwards, she had diarrhea at least twice a day in her crate. A few people suggested giving her 1/2 a pepto chewable, which helped,...

Papillon freezing and won't potty outside. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok.. I brought my 10 week old papillon home 3 days ago from the petstore. She is on a schedule with feeding and I take her out every time she wakes up, eats, or comes out of her crate. We stay out as long as I can stand it (or until she's shivering uncontrollably) but all she does is whine. If I...

Dog not pooping [ 4 Answers ]

Last week my dog was having having extremely runny BM. He was waking us up two times a night to let him out and he was producing a lot of poop, though in the day he produced little poop and more mucus. We went to the vet after three days and they did not find any parasities. They did prescibe...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

Dog that won't quit pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old border collie cross, which has been house trained for the past three years. In the last six months he has started peeing and pooping in the house. He can be outside all day long and as soon as he comes into the house he immediately runs downstairs and poops. We can take him...

View more questions Search