Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    They should teach abstinence in schools but that shouldn't be the only thing they teach. How many time have we all seen the "Am I pregnant?" thread? Any girl old enough to have sex should know at least everything I know which isn't that much but I can answer 90% of those threads. They should learn about stds and pregnancy and prevention of both. I think if you try to teach only abstinence, teens will know there is more information out there and may not get it from a reliable source.
    These days, absolutely kids should know about STD's and such, but I have no faith in the organization most responsible for "teaching" our kids about such things.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
    WASHINGTON, DC — Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) applauds Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) for introducing the "Responsible Education About Life" (REAL) Act today. The REAL Act is a landmark piece of legislation designed to provide funding to states for comprehensive sexuality education programs that include medically accurate information about abstinence and contraception.
    "Teaching our teens a program that is dedicated to supporting sex education that includes responsible, age-appropriate and medically-accurate instruction emphasizing both the benefits of abstinence while also teaching about contraception, pregnancy and disease-prevention should be one of our top priorities," said PPFA Interim President Karen Pearl. "Too often our students are given incomplete or even inaccurate information that leaves them misinformed, confused and afraid. I applaud these lawmakers for introducing federal legislation that would guarantee critical health care information programs for our youth that have been proven effective.

And you prefer to leave it to Dead-beat dads or alcoholic mothers than PPH

Planned Parenthood - Planned Parenthood Applauds Senator Frank Lautenberg and Representative Barbara Lee for Introducing "REAL" Act
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Regarding abstinence education it is a problem when it is "abstinence only" education and children are told that having sex before marriage makes your willy fall off and other lies.
    LOL, I don't think any of the abstinence curriculum is teaching that sex before marriage will make your willy fall off. If they are telling lies that's not right, but it's also not right for Planned Parenthood to teach 13 year old girls how to masturbate or tell our kids "Let's give ourselves a hand — or two!"
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 18, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    These days, absolutely kids should know about STD's and such, but I have no faith in the organization most responsible for "teaching" our kids about such things.
    Your always able to teach your kids more and I don't know about you but I think the more you know the better. You can also home school your kids so they don't get any of the dangerous knowledge stuff, if that's they way you feel about it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    Your always able to teach your kids more and I don't know about you but I think the more you know the better. You can also home school your kids so they don't get any of the dangerous knowledge stuff, if thats they way you feel about it.
    My daughter-in-law obtained her teaching credentials and is home schooling her two children, however, they still have to attend school two mornings a week.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    That’s a strawman…"all sex is all good all the time they're going to do it anyway,” that I have never heard anyone advocate.

I grant that parental rights have eroded from Biblical times, and when I first heard a parent could not physically punish a child I was thankful mine were adults. But the fact is children are abused by their parents in so many homes across the nation and it became an epidemic of gigantic proportions. Of course abortion is increasing, just as the population is increasing; that’s the whole purpose for teaching safe sex.

Guess what, teens were getting knocked-up before there was TV or Planned Parenthood.
    DC, have you ever explored Planned Parenthood's Teenwire site? Do you not know they will take children of all ages for "health care" with or without parental consent? Do you know they advocate "comprehensive sex education" for children in kindergarten? If you can't see a connection between their activities, the values they espouse and a rise in teen pregnancy and abortion you just haven't looked hard enough. When I was in school 30 years ago everyone knew if you wanted birth control go to PP, if you got someone pregnant they could 'take care' of it, and they didn't teach any of us about safe sex.

Oct 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
    LOL, I don't think any of the abstinence curriculum is teaching that sex before marriage will make your willy fall off. If they are telling lies that's not right, but it's also not right for Planned Parenthood to teach 13 year old girls how to masturbate or tell our kids "Let's give ourselves a hand — or two!"
    I suppose a pedophile in a chat room could teach your daughter how to masturbate but I'd prefer mine to learn it from planned parent hood. The point is that they will get the information from somewhere and if your not going to teach it to her why not let her get it from a trusted site instead of who knows where.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Ok, maybe no one is telling them their willy will fall off (I'm so glad you can take a joke!), but there are programs out there which are spreading misinformation and that's dangerous. It makes these kids ill-equipped for their adult lives, and while we all hope our kids wait until marriage to have sex, that's just not the case. It's important for kids and adults to know the scientific and medical facts so they can make informed decisions (did you get that joke? Teens making informed decisions - ha!)

As far as PP teaching about masturbation, to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. Should you instead shame your child when she becomes sexually aroused by something? It's not like the offer group classes with live instruction! Masturbation is normal, it is healthy and it should not be treated as a shameful act. I think a majority of this stuff should be taught by parents, but you know as well as I do that most parents don't discuss these things with their kids. Hell, I didn't know what tampons and maxi pads were for until I learned in in 3rd grade sex ed!! My parents NEVER had the "where babies come from" talk with us or anything else. My siblings and I learned it on our own; I would have been grateful for some of the info from PP; it might have prevented some bad decisions I have made. Besides, look at all the questions we get from young boys and girls here about basic sexual knowledge - at least PP is honest - they don't say your willy falls off for having sex! :)

EDIT:

kindj agrees: Middle school isn't too young anymore. I teach 7th grade in a small town, and every year there's at least one or two girls that end up pregnant.
    It's official then. I'm old. I was really hoping I could make it to thirty before I had to call myself old, but if there are kids that age getting pregnant, I'm officially old.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:45 PM
    DC, have you ever explored Planned Parenthood's Teenwire site? Do you not know they will take children of all ages for "health care" with or without parental consent? Do you know they advocate "comprehensive sex education" for children in kindergarten? If you can't see a connection between their activities, the values they espouse and a rise in teen pregnancy and abortion you just haven't looked hard enough. When I was in school 30 years ago everyone knew if you wanted birth control go to PP, if you got someone pregnant they could 'take care' of it, and they didn't teach any of us about safe sex.
    I’m sure that I don’t approve of everything they that they do especially on the net. However I don’t believe we can count on parents either. It appears that like so many choices we have it’s, between the lesser of two evils.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
    WASHINGTON, DC — Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) applauds Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) for introducing the "Responsible Education About Life" (REAL) Act today. The REAL Act is a landmark piece of legislation designed to provide funding to states for comprehensive sexuality education programs that include medically accurate information about abstinence and contraception.
    "Teaching our teens a program that is dedicated to supporting sex education that includes responsible, age-appropriate and medically-accurate instruction emphasizing both the benefits of abstinence while also teaching about contraception, pregnancy and disease-prevention should be one of our top priorities," said PPFA Interim President Karen Pearl. "Too often our students are given incomplete or even inaccurate information that leaves them misinformed, confused and afraid. I applaud these lawmakers for introducing federal legislation that would guarantee critical health care information programs for our youth that have been proven effective.

And you prefer to leave it to Dead-beat dads or alcoholic mothers than PPH
    DC, I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to PP. They are the ones that provided "health care" to my daughter, leaving her HIV undiagnosed to the point her CD4 count was 16, leaving her with full blown AIDS and having to spend roughly 3 months in the hospital overcoming kidney failure, PCP and a host of other problems. They are the ones that provided her abortion, taking what is likely to be our only grandchild. Planned Parenthood is the one of the most deceptive, underhanded, undermining, incompetent groups ever conceived. There isn't a soul in the world that can preach to me about the virtues of Planned Parenthood, I know better - firsthand.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 18, 2007, 02:55 PM
    On Margaret Sanger - founder of Planned parenthood.

The Negro Project and Margaret Sanger

“'Civil rights' doesn't mean anything without a right to life!” declared Hunter. He and the other marchers were protesting the disproportionately high number of abortions in the black community. The high number is no accident. Many Americans—black and white—are unaware of Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger's Negro Project. Sanger created this program in 1939, after the organization changed its name from the American Birth Control League (ABCL) to the Birth Control Federation of America (BCFA).1

Grace and peace
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Ok, maybe no one is telling them their willy will fall off (I'm so glad you can take a joke!), but there are programs out there which are spreading misinformation and that's dangerous. It makes these kids ill-equipped for their adult lives, and while we all hope our kids wait until marriage to have sex, that's just not the case. It's important for kids and adults to know the scientific and medical facts so they can make informed decisions (did you get that joke? Teens making informed decisions - ha!)...

As far as PP teaching about masturbation, to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Yeah, I can take a joke, and the one about teens making informed decisions is sadly all too true. See my last post to DC on why PP does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. They have no business teaching our kids anything.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:02 PM
    DC, I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to PP. They are the ones that provided "health care" to my daughter, leaving her HIV undiagnosed to the point her CD4 count was 16, leaving her with full blown AIDS and having to spend roughly 3 months in the hospital overcoming kidney failure, PCP and a host of other problems. They are the ones that provided her abortion, taking what is likely to be our only grandchild. Planned Parenthood is the one of the most deceptive, underhanded, undermining, incompetent groups ever conceived. There isn't a soul in the world that can preach to me about the virtues of Planned Parenthood, I know better - firsthand.
    I of course offer my deep felt sympathy for the tragedy's you have had to face and can well understand your dismay. I've fortunately not have had any occasions to know much about PPH and have been speaking from strictly a philosophical position. Again, my condolences.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Have you ever wondered why so many pedophiles get just a slapp on the wrist?
    Do you remember that Federal Prosecutor that was arrested for trying to have sex with two little girls and then committed suicide in jail?
    You can call me crazy but I say that a very large number of prosecutors, judges and attorneys are sexual deviants and pedophiles. There seems to be a move to desensitize the public to believe that these things are OK. That there really is nothing we, as parents can do to stop them so the best we can do is prevent an unwanted birth.
    Hogwash, bullsh@*, poppycock, pure drivel. But, since we can't whip our children's asses to make them mind and teach them there is a price for deviant behavior, for fear of going to jail, (attorneys, judges, prosecutors) I guess we have to conform into the mould that these people are creating for us. If you want your 11 year old girl on birth control, then you welcome and condone her sexual activity.

Oct 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
    You can have a good child and without having to beat them.

I don't know about you all but a 11 year girl should NEVER be without supervision for so long that she could get to the point of having sex with a boy. When your child is 11 you should know where they are who they are with and that the adult that they are with has the same ideas about parenting as you do. If your doing that, what do you care if some other kids parent doesn't watch them well enough goes on birth control because you will know your kid is doing the right thing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    Have you ever wondered why so many pedophiles get just a slapp on the wrist?
    Do you remember that Federal Prosecutor that was arrested for trying to have sex with two little girls and then commited suicide in jail?
    You can call me crazy but I say that a very large number of prosecutors, judges and attorneys are sexual deviants and pedophiles. There seems to be a move to desensitize the public to believe that these things are OK. That there really is nothing we, as parents can do to stop them so the best we can do is prevent an unwanted birth.
    Hogwash, bullsh@*, poppycock, pure drivel. But, since we can't whip our childrens asses to make them mind and teach them there is a price for deviant behavior, for fear of going to jail, (attorneys, judges, prosecutors) I guess we have to conform into the mould that these people are creating for us. If you want your 11 year old girl on birth control, then you welcome and condone her sexual activity.
    Spam, do you have any evidence that there is a move to desensitize the public to believe that pedophilia: a preferential or exclusive sexual attraction by adults to prepubescent youths--- is OK?

Interestingly enough “The extent to which pedophilia occurs is not known with any certainty. Historically, sexual contacts between older pre-pubescents and adults were relatively common and accepted in many places, including the United States and England, where the legal age of consent typically ranged from 7 to 12 years until the end of the 19th century”

Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Yeah they can get in trouble for giving more than a tylenol or bandaid but they have no problem with taking your kid across the border for an abortion with the parents never knowing a thing about it. Go figure! They also say it is important to teach a grade schooler how to put a condom on a banana or cucumber.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Spam, do you have any evidence that there is a move to desensitize the public to believe that pedophilia: a preferential or exclusive sexual attraction by adults to prepubescent youths--- is ok?

Interestingly enough “The extent to which pedophilia occurs is not known with any certainty. Historically, sexual contacts between older pre-pubescents and adults were relatively common and accepted in many places, including the United States and England, where the legal age of consent typically ranged from 7 to 12 years until the end of the 19th century”

Pedophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nothing other than personal experience as a prison guard for way too many years but here is a good place to start. Should this be allowed to exist. Should the "North American Serial Killers Assoc. be allowed to exist. I put them both on the same level.

Welcome to NAMBLA's Home Page

Prosecutor: What is "the love that dare not speak its name"?
    Wilde: "The Love that dare not speak its name" in this century is such a great affection of an elder for a younger man as there was between David and Jonathan, such as Plato made the very basis of his philosophy, and such as you find in the sonnets of Michelangelo and Shakespeare. It is that deep, spiritual affection that is as pure as it is perfect. It dictates and pervades great works of art like those of Shakespeare and Michelangelo, and those two letters of mine, such as they are. It is in this century misunderstood, so much misunderstood that it may be described as the "Love that dare not speak its name," and on account of it I am placed where I am now. It is beautiful, it is fine, it is the noblest form of affection. There is nothing unnatural about it. It is intellectual, and it repeatedly exists between an elder and a younger man, when the elder man has intellect, and the younger man has all the joy, hope and glamour of life before him. That it should be so, the world does not understand. The world mocks at it and sometimes puts one in the pillory for it."

[The speech caused a loud burst of applause to erupt from the gallery of the courtroom.]

~ Oscar Wilde, playwright

Although this is really a gay site, it speaks to the same issue, children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health care costs [ 4 Answers ]

Why has health care costs increased in the past few decades? Provide at least 3 reasons

Health care [ 4 Answers ]

Elements of communication Barriers of communication

Health care rankings [ 1 Answers ]

Where does the US rank in the quality of its health care system compared to other developed countries?

View more questions Search