Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alia-tay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Period is late, pregnant?
    I had protected sex (with a condom) with my boyfriend almost 2 1/2 weeks before my period. Also my period is usually about 3 days late every month. I should have gotten my period on the 16th and it's now the 18th. I had felt what I thought to be pre-menstrual cramps but only 2 or 3 times during the past 2 days which seemed unusual to me as today I haven't felt anything so far. Could anyone tell me what the likelihood of my being pregnant is?
    I haven't felt nauseous, my breasts haven't felt sore, and I'm afraid I'm going to think about it to the point where my head is going to play tricks on me. Also, I've had some stress due to school and I haven't been eating as much because in between doing homework and classes I don't necessarily have the time, I don't know if that could play a part but there it is.
    All replies and any help would be Greatly appreciated, as I'm getting a little scared and quite confused, Thanks.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

I just got my period and though I never thought I'd be glad about it, I am. Thank you to everybody that replied, I really really appreciate it. :)
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Oct 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
    You can get pregnant while using a condom. It is not probable to get pregnant while using a condom. However, many women I know have. Many factors, which you can well imagine, influence to effectiveness of a condom. I would take a home test just to put myself at ease. If your not that worried you can wait until you are several weeks late to test and see you doctor about the miss period.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Its important to remember that when having sex, protected or not, you run the risk of pregnancy. Also, condoms have about a 15% pregnancy rate. Tears, overflow/slippage of the condom, etc contribute to this. Also, if you are not using a condom the whole time, pre- contains sperm. Also, not all women have pregnancy symptoms, so it is possible to be pregnant, without any signs, except for a missed period. I'm not saying it's a definite that you are pregnant. There are MANY possibilities as to why your period is late. Its not uncommon to be late, or completely miss a cycle now and then. Also, medication, illness, change in lifestyle/diet/fitness/stress, wanting pregnancy/fearing pregnancy, etc can all factor into your regularity. Since you are late, you can take a hpt if you haven't yet. (although I would suggest waiting until you are a week late.)If negative, but you still don't get your period, wait until your next period is due. If it doesn't come, its time to see your doctor/get a blood test. Good luck
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
    The chances that you are pregnant... are slim but still there. Especially for the time you had sex... 2-3 weeks before your period is usually a women's most fertile time.

But you have admitted there has been some added stress and changes in eating habits... these could VERY well be why you are late or miss your period this month altogether... it is not uncommon.

I would take a HPT to ease your mind :)
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
    I would say maybe your period is late cause it doesn't seem likely you would be pregnant, but I agree with the others in taking a HPT. If you're on birth control though it won't work. My doctor told me when you on birth control that tests will come out wrong. So if you happen to be on birth control go to your doctor. If you aren't then like I said... HPT
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Its possible for some bc/medication to cause a false positive result. But usually this isn't the case. Just depends
    fernanda981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babieface85
    You can get pregnant while using a condom. It is not probable to get pregnant while using a condom. However, many women I know have. Many factors, which you can well imagine, influence to effectiveness of a condom. I would take a home test just to put myself at ease. If your not that worried you can wait until you are several weeks late to test and see you doctor about the miss period.
    Sorry this is more of a question than an answer... acctually it is all question and no answer :S

When you say its possible to get pregnant whilst using a condom is that solely because of ripping/tearing/breaking??

My period is very late, and I have no idea what to attribute it to. I have had no lifestyle changes recently, I am not stressed about anything overwhelming, my eating patterns are normal... everything is fine. I have only had sex once since my last period and we used a condom (about a week before I was supposed to get my period). That I know, it didn't break or anything... does that definitely mean I'm not pregnant? i.e.. Should I bother with a pregnancy test... and if I'm not... then why am I so late? Today is day 41, and my cycle is normally 22-24 days. (2.5 weeks late).

Its crazy - its all I can think about but I can't see how I could be. At the same time, everything in my life is completely normal, so I... I just don't understand.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Oct 29, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fernanda981
    sorry this is more of a question than an answer... acctually it is all question and no answer :S

when you say its possible to get pregnant whilst using a condom is that soley because of ripping/tearing/breaking???

my period is very late, and i have no idea what to attribute it to. i have had no lifestyle changes recently, i am not stressed about anything overwhelming, my eating patterns are normal... everything is fine. i have only had sex once since my last period and we used a condom (about a week before i was supposed to get my period). that i know, it didnt break or anything... does that definately mean im not pregnant? ie. should i bother with a pregnancy test... and if im not... then why am i so late? today is day 41, and my cycle is normally 22-24 days. (2.5 weeks late).

its crazy - its all i can think about but i can't see how i could be. at the same time, everything in my life is completely normal, so i ... i just dont understand.
    Some of the other reasons condoms fail to be effective are the condom was not used properly (if you fail to take the condom off right after ejaculation fluid can leak out), the condom was not manufactured properly, if you use the wrong lube, and also the condom expiration date has passed (take the package's expiration date seriously, because they do lose their elasticity).

You should take a test and see.
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alia-tay
    I had protected sex (with a condom) with my boyfriend almost 2 1/2 weeks before my period. Also my period is usually about 3 days late every month. I should have gotten my period on the 16th and it's now the 18th. I had felt what i thought to be pre-menstrual cramps but only 2 or 3 times during the past 2 days which seemed unusual to me as today i haven't felt anything so far. Could anyone tell me what the likelihood of my being pregnant is?
    I haven't felt nauseous, my breasts haven't felt sore, and i'm afraid i'm going to think about it to the point where my head is going to play tricks on me. Also, i've had some stress due to school and i haven't been eating as much because in between doing homework and classes i don't neccesarily have the time, i don't know if that could play a part but there it is.
    All replies and any help would be Greatly appreciated, as i'm getting a little scared and quite confused, Thanks.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

I just got my period and though i never thought i'd be glad about it, I am. Thank you to everybody that replied, i really really appreciate it. :)
    Don't worry too much about it. As a married man, I've come to realize that a woman's periods can be 5-7 days late, and while I may go crazy with stress and wonder if my wife's pregnant (she never is, since I've had a vasectomy, but still... ) it always comes. A woman's cycle can be different from one month to the next because of any number of reasons... sickness, stress, and so on. If you really want to find out, take a home pregancy test and/or go see the doctor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My period is late again but not pregnant, HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

In October my period was a week late, in November my period was a week late, but in December is was right on time, and now in January it is late again. Can anyone tell me what is going on. Im 22 years old, and somewhat sexually active (im married :p ) I feel fine, but since October my husband and I...

Late Period -- Pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All =} My name is Stephanie and I am 20 years old, a newlywed at that =] I was married on August the 4th. This is my concern: My last period should have been July 26th, but it came August 2nd and only lasted until the 4th. It was very short and pretty light. I am asuming it was late...

I'm late on period.am I pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I expected my period to be here on the 8th of this month.. it is now the 17th and I haven't gotten it yet.. my nipples are tender.and I took a pregnancy test around the 11th and it said negative.. could I still be pregnant?

My late period am I pregnant? [ 8 Answers ]

I don't want to tell my age, but my last period was on march the 15, 2007 and on April the 28 I had sex for the first time.Now it's may and I haven't seen my period yet.We used a condom, and I found out later it broke,I don't know what to do, I don't want to have a baby.im still in denial because ...

Period late and not pregnant or am I? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi.. hope someone else is able to answer this one.. I was supposed to have AF on May 12.. never came.. now it is June 21st.. and 41 days since last AF.. am I pregnant? What should I do.. did 3 EPT's all negative :confused:

View more questions Search