Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramish Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 03:01 AM
    HP Color LaserJet 4700
    I have got a big & Network Compatible HP Color Laserjet 4700 series Printer and the recently problem I have faced with it is that it doesn't print in color.

I have replaced the cartridges (Four at once) and the Fuse Kit, but didn't work.

All I can do now is to restart the printer and then it startes printing in Color for one or two hours and then it stops back and starts printing in B/W even if you have a color document ordered to be printed.

Appreciate if anyone could help me with this.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Check the driver set up/preferences. There should be a option that tells the printer to print in B&W only. It might be turned on.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Even if the driver is, set incorrectly, the printer should be printing in color, providing the print datastream is telling it to print in color. The current application will always override the driver setting. That's done by either the PJL (Printer Job Language) or the PCL (Printer Control Language) PJL controls the printers environment from outside the actual Printer Control Language. PJL is similar to a wrapper around the PCL.

All of the above is true for any printer language that you select, however, other emulations such as PostScript and PCL-XL (PCL 6) will control the printer's environment differently.

So lets start this way: What is the driver you have selected, and it's setting? Is the printer actually on your network now? Is it the same print job that fails all the time or is it any print job that hits the printer after the 2 hour window? Do you have a network sniffer capable of catching and downloading a print job? Do you know how to debug an actual print file?
    Ramish Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Hi;

I have two same printers installed with same network & printer configuration. One prints well and the second one prints in Black & white as explained in the previous email.

I don't think if the problem is a software based or configuration based, but probably hardware based.

The configuration of the printer on the network is OK as I have several times checked that and I have compared the settings of my second printer with the printer mulfunctioning and they are the same.

Please let me know if can provide me more information.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
    "So lets start this way: What is the driver you have selected, and it's setting? Is the printer actually on your network now? Is it the same print job that fails all the time or is it any print job that hits the printer after the 2 hour window? Do you have a network sniffer capable of catching and downloading a print job? Do you know how to debug an actual print file?"

Ramish,

Please start by answering the above questions. To answer your statement about configuration software, I understand, however, the software I was referring to was application software as in "Word", "Excell", "Photoshop", "WordPerfect" and so on.

The application will always overwrite the default status. Period! That's why it is so important to know if you can trace backwards to a specific job that caused the failure. Something in that job can be resetting a persistent variable that is then reset when you POR the printer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP LaserJet 6L won't print [ 75 Answers ]

My HP LaserJet 6L won't print. I visited the HP website to download any recent drivers. According to the site, operating system Microsoft Windows XP comes with the driver for this printer. When I click on "Automaticly check if driver needs updating," I get an error message that reads, "HP...

At-home hair color using Color Zap, then Wella color [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally medium brown hair. I have always looked better with blonde hair, and I went to salons for years to have my hair colored. I can no longer afford the $100+ visits every 3 weeks, so I have tried doing it myself. Recently I used Color Zap to remove all color (because I had several...

HP Color LaserJet 1500L [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The Drum unit indicator is flashing (only this indicator is flasing others are dark) . I've changed the drum unit but that didn't solve the problem. What else can be done, to be checked? Thank you in advance!

HP Laserjet 5M hangs when printing from Windows [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an HPLJ 5M printer that is now not printing from Windows. Here's what I've tried: 1. Ensuring that the printer and computer are communicating - I created a little text file using notepad. I can print the file no problem from the DOS cmd line, but cannot print from windows. 2. Have...

View more questions Search