Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nagyc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Small claims
    I have the name of a person who has since been married and moved to Quebec
    How can I find out her married name and address for my small claims papers to serve her and do I use her married name even if the contract was in her maiden name?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Oct 18, 2007, 01:47 PM
    If you know what jurisdiction the debtor was married in you may be able to check the local marriage records otherwise you may need to hire the services of a professional investigator.

We have heard, although we have not confirmed, that women are not permitted to take their husbands name in Quebec.

In Ontario, where we practice, you may sue someone using variations of their name. For example, Jane Doe also known as Jane Smith.

In case you are unaware, Quebec presents its own challenges with respect to litigation and you may wish to consult with someone in the province before commencing any action.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Cannot answer in Quebec but in most other jurisdictions a married woman is also known as (A/K/A) her previous married name. You would sue Jane Doe a/k/a Jane Smith.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I had a job I worked at that owes me money by not paying me the proper overtime I worked... I am wondering... in the state of Michigan... how long do I have to sue them in small claims court... one year? Two years? Thank you:cool:

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

Small Claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued for a debt. The debt is just in my name not my husbands can they garnish his wages. (I am a stay at home mom). I know they can go after bank accounts but our account is just in my husbands name. Can they go after the account if it is not in my name?

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search