Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hillbilyswife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 06:15 PM
    Basement gets flooded when it rains
    I have lived in this house for three years and the first year we had no problem with the basement flooded after it rains whether it was an hour or a week. The person who lived in this house before us always put his grease in the sink and the second year we had about 6 inches in the basement after it rained the drains would not work. We had a plumber come in and use a professional snake and it took out the grease build up in the pipes but ever since then our basement gets flooded. We just finished with three days of constant rain and got about 6 inches of water in our basement. We have put a sump pump in one drain that does drain very slowly but the other two drains don't work at all. This house was built in the 1950's I believe. Can you help me in finding a reason why the two drains don't work and the one drains slowling even after using a professional snake? Thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 06:50 PM
    Where do these drains go, a septic tank, city sewer, french drain? Are they sanitary drains or floor drains?
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 03:34 AM
    Half the time the drains in older homes were just a hole in the slab and weren't piped anywhere, is this the case?

Oct 28, 2005, 02:10 PM
    They are basement floor drains that my kitchen sink and washer run into.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2005, 03:08 PM
    "can you help me in finding a reason why the two drains don't work and the one drains slowling even after using a professional snake? They are basement floor drains that my kitchen sink and washer run into?

And with those words you just made our job easier. Your floor drains are part of your septic system and it sounds like the individual floor drain branches are clogged . Just snaking from a vent ain't going to get it. Each floor drain must be snaked from the drain itself and then flushed out. If this were a blockage downstream from where the floor drain branches connect the drains would back up every time the washer discharged so this isn't just one blockage it's three. Good luck. Tom

Oct 28, 2005, 03:31 PM
    Our septic is on a different system though. We have a different drain that our shower and toilet run into and it hasn't run over.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilyswife
    our septic is on a different system though. we have a different drain that our shower and toilet run into and it hasn't run over.
    I'm sorry. Did I not make myself clear? My fault, I'll try again. A branch can be as short as 5 feet, each floor drain has one. If the branch's blocked nothing else will be affected except the fixture the branch services. So it really makes no difference what's connected to what system. Every fixture will drain just fine except the floor drains. Cheers, Tom

You said, "my toilet and shower drain into my septic drain the floor drains go into a leech bed. what do you think it is now?"

Since you've already told me the washer, kitchen sink and floor drains all discharge into a filter bed then if there were a problem with the filter bed it would affect both the washer and the kitchen sink. I still think it sounds like each floor drain branch. Three separate blockages in three separate branches. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there well I am trying to put a washer in my basement but the sewer line is on the other side of the house from where it will be put so I am asking how should a go about running the drain line without cutting a hole in the floor I have herd about a sump pump and a tank but was not sure if...

Lawn mower flooded by saltwater [ 9 Answers ]

Hurricane Katrina flooded my house with 5 feet of salt water, so my new Lawn Boy self propelled lawn mower was completely under salt water. The pull is stuck and I cannot pull it. I have not really tried to start it, but I have had several people tell me that it can be saved and others that have...

Basement Drain Smell When It Rains [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been very good about making sure the drains in the basement do not go dry. We add water every couple of weeks and have even added vegetable oil to prevent evaporation. We've also tried flushing bleach through it. Despite this, we get the bad P-trap smell....

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

Smell from toilet when it rains [ 5 Answers ]

I keep getting a smell from my toilet after it rains or after a bath could someone give me a clue please

View more questions Search