Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I want to be an author! How do I go about publishing?
    I've got four books that I'm writing currently (I'm easily distracted so I work on one and then another when I can't think of more for the other one). I've got a poetry book, two fantasy novels, and a non fiction on serial killers. A friend of mine I met online who has published a poetry book off a website. Is it wiser to go through internet publishing or get a actual publisher? Does it cost a lot of money? Do I need different publishers for different books? And how much control do I have over my work after it is published? Thank you.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 01:19 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/writin...ok-129177.html
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2010, 08:57 AM

You should get paid for your books, you don't pay.

It is hard to get published. You have to be incredibly professional about your work. The days when publishers would employ editors to help you polish your book are gone. Now, you need it to be as close to perfect as possible before you go near a publisher.

John Boyne, who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, said he typically does ten or twelve drafts of each novel before he submits it to a publisher. And he might have to do more drafts after that. Even with that, his first novel was never published, it just wasn't good enough.

If you get a book deal with a publisher for one book, they will probably consider your other books, but that's all. Most publishers only publish certain types of book.

Has your poetry won any prizes? If not, then start entering. Poetry that hasn't won prizes is virtually impossible to publish.

Right now, fantasy novels are hot, so if your's is good enough, and polished enough, and properly presented, you have a chance of getting them published. How long are they, what age group are they aimed at, how many drafts have you done on them?

Non-fiction is easier to sell. You may be able to sell it as a book (again, if it's properly polished and presented) or as a series of articles to newspapers or magazines.

Oh, it goes without saying that you can only publish or sell finished books.
    noleah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2010, 09:10 AM

I have written 2 novel and I want 2 publish one. So how do I go about it?
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2010, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by noleah View Post
    i have written 2 novel and i want 2 publish one. so how do i go about it?
    Go back over your novels and rewrite and edit and correct, and then do it all again. These days, your novel has to be as close to perfect as it is possible to make it. No publisher will even look at a novel which is not polished to perfection.

Get a couple of objective readers to go over it and tell you honestly what bits need work and which can stand. Trust me, every novel needs some rewriting. I've rewritten the first chapter of my novel from scratch twelve times, and have done countless edits on it since then.

When you are happy that it's as good as it's going to get, you can approach agents or publishers with it. Some publishers will accept unsolicited novels, but you must check first. Otherwise it will go straight in the bin. And of course, make sure this publisher actually publishes novels of your type.

Print out the first three chapters, on plain white paper, double spaced, with at least a one inch margin all around. Indent paragraphs, and number each page. Use a regular font, 12 pitch, nothing fancy. Use a paperclip or rubber band to keep your pages together, no staples or bindings.

Write a synopsis and a polite informative covering letter, and send it off with an SAE.

The procedure is the same for approaching agents, but check first how many chapters they would like and how long they prefer the synopsis to be.

It is a tough game. I spoke to an agent recently who said he got 2000 unsolicited manuscripts on his desk last year. He picked 15 to represent.
    Chelsea225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
    I have 10 novels
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Unless you have ten published novels, the same thing applies. Go back and rewrite, edit and polish until they are perfect, then submit to agents and/or publisher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Publishing a book [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about 95% complete with my book. I have written it to sell. It's over 72,000 words. What is the best format (Font, size, spacing) to convert my Word document for sending to publishers and book agents. Anybody know a good agent?

Publishing [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs?

Publishing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a daughter that is a great writer. Were can she send her novels for reviews, and possible publication.

Publishing [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs? My wife is writing children's books.

Publishing a book [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get published inexpensively? What are the best publishing companies?

View more questions Search