Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Oct 17, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Ear candles? I have read up on these things.
    And most of my research has been a great history lesson with spirits and Egyption mumbo jumbo, but I think using the candle to remove ear wax to be pointless. There are no scientific facts stating that they are really effective in removing wax from ears. I have read Some possitive things but mostly from folks selling them. I would like to know if anyone has further information crediting to the candle or discrediting. Is my friend wasting her money as I keep saying she is??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    And most of my research has been a great history lesson with spirits and Egyption mumbo jumbo, but I think using the candle to remove ear wax to be pointless. There are no scientific facts stating that they are really effective in removing wax from ears. I have read Some possitive things but mostly from folks selling them. I would like to know if anyone has further information crediting to the candle or discrediting. Is my friend wasting her money as I keep saying she is???
    I have to agree with you, greg quinn, it is a waste of time. I worked for a lady who had a nail salon and started doing ear candling. They are made of cotton and wax, a long cone shape, she made her own. I watched closely when she worked on a client and I can't really say if she removed residue from the ear canal or if it was residue from the burning cotton. She sure made a lot of money for a while there though !And by the way, they are a fire hazard too! Good luck
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Candlewax in someone's ear? First time I heard this..
    Does it not burn the skin?
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Oct 17, 2007, 05:21 PM
    It is a really weird thing to believe in. I have seen the flame get really close to the hair and it freaks me out. :-)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 05:25 PM
    I could never get a flame near any part of my body,let alone my ears.

People who get this treatment must be so brave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 05:34 PM
    They sell them at our local health store, and many people swear by them,
    If they help you, they are great, if you don't beleve don't use them.
    *** I don't use them
    Jualsy Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Oct 24, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    And most of my research has been a great history lesson with spirits and Egyption mumbo jumbo, but I think using the candle to remove ear wax to be pointless. There are no scientific facts stating that they are really effective in removing wax from ears. I have read Some possitive things but mostly from folks selling them. I would like to know if anyone has further information crediting to the candle or discrediting. Is my friend wasting her money as I keep saying she is???
    Hopi candling is amazing... truly amazing. I have had it done and I have done it to others... the wax that comes out into the wax tube is mind blowing and it really does improve people's hearing where there has been a blockage.
    Really a good natural method and very effective.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 04:25 PM
    I have done ear candling and been taught, and you know, it is really scary when you are doing it because that flame is so close to the person's clothes, anything that covers the chair while you are using the candle.

I am not saying its hocus pocus, the stuff that comes out is only the wax from the ear candle.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
    My aunt has had it done... so I've seen it, but never done it. Her doctor has been begging her to stop, but she has a permanent hearing loss that inspires her to try just about anything. In the end, she's had zero improvement on her condition.
    Physically, you're ear doesn't even hold that much wax! Plus, laying on your side will not draw any wax UP... it would simply drain down deeper into your ear canal.

When its done, debris or wax can be seen in the cone, but it is wax from the cone itself. Its dangerous to stick anything besides a cotton swab in your ear... and then only around the outside parameter. The ear is meant to have a certain amount of wax build up; once it needs to drain, it does. If there is something unhealthy going on... well, I don't see the point of sticking a candle inside and lighting in on fire.
    Robert Brenner Posts: 53, Reputation: 13

Oct 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
    I have had this done a number of times and it helps me very much. It goes deeper than just the ear wax or canal. It draws from lympth system as well. The quality candles include natural herbs and such, not just wax. The therapist lays out 6 or 8 different blends, the receiver, closes their eyes, moves their hand over the candles and the body tells which one is correct. Somehow, I always choose rose or sandalwood. Now I have a lot of trouble with my ear nose and throat and always have. So, maybe if you didn't get a good results it because you don't need it. But I love it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2007, 03:56 PM
    ear candling (coning)

ear candling (coning)

Ear candling or coning is a method of cleaning the ears and the mind, which allegedly alleviates a host of physical, emotional and spiritual ailments. A hollow candle is stuck into the ear and lit, allegedly sucking out earwax and negative energy. The process is ineffective for earwax removal. I don't know how anyone knows whether it sucks out energy, positive or negative.
    What wax appears in the cone is from the melted candle, not from the ears. The suction created by the coning flame is insufficient to remove wax, which, by the way, is good for you. It traps dust and dirt and helps fight infections.
    Though some people fear that coning will leave them mindless, the only real dangers are from burning, infection, obstruction of the ear canal and perforation of the eardrum.
    The origin of this unnatural practice has been given as ancient Tibet, China, India, Egypt, and pre-Columbian America. Even Atlantis is cited as a possible origin. In other words, we don't have a clue how this thing got started.
    askahealer Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 06:28 AM
    I agree with Robert that the quality of the candle is important. And, for me, ear candling is not so much about removing wax but about clearing bacteria and encouraging lymph drainage.

I like to use candles that have a little tea tree oil added.

I also agree they can be a fire hazard in the wrong hands. It's best to get someone trained in doing them.

In my experience, ear candling can definitely help remove impacted earwax. Those who have a wax build-up can see the deposits on the inside of the candle and it's obvious it is not wax from the candle since the earwax is a different color. Also, you can feel the wax coming up out of the ear and it snaps and crackles when it hits the flame.

Ear candling too often could be harmful because the ears are naturally supposed to have some wax, just not wax build-up.

Basically, I think ear candling can be helpful for getting over a cold and for those who have a wax build up that is unnaturally thick. However, I would not suggest longterm use of ear candles to anyone I counseled and I would never suggest doing them on one's own. I would advise seeing someone trained to do them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uneven Ear Pressure and Voice Echo in Left Ear [ 45 Answers ]

Hello, I have some kind of ear condition that I'm seeking answers for. I have to constantly sniff throughout the day to equalize the pressure in my ears. The left ear seems too "open" for lack of a better word and when I sniff it corrects the pressure temporarily. The condition also causes an...

Crafts for candles [ 3 Answers ]

I have a candle business and I am looking for craft ideas to help sell and decorate candles. I have pattern for votive roses but would like to do more. Thank you

Candles [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get the rest of the wax out of a candle after burning it down?

Candles... would Like Tips, Suggestions Etc. [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone have any tips on large tub type or in a glass - candles? i.e. How to avoid having the liquid wax pool in the center and cause the flame to be very very weak and eventually go out? Are there any candles that DO NOT have black soot/smoke? What are the ROLLS ROYCE of candles -...

Candles [ 3 Answers ]

hiya, ;D I have a re coursework and I need to know what is the purpose of candles in a R.C church?? Thanks x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

View more questions Search