Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitzmillerjg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Possible HIPAA violation?
    Hello,

Hope someone can help me determine whether this is a HIPAA violation or not. I was treated in a specialty clinic recently. At the time of checkout I had forgotten to bring money with me for the co-pay. Two other patients were waiting behind me and heard the finance person lecture me about not having the money with me, and discussing my account balance with the clinics in detail. I felt that it was at least an invasion of privacy and poor business practice to discuss my financial information in front of other patients. She did not disclose personal health infrmation though, so I don't know whether to pursue this as a HIPAA violation or just mention the lack of privacy to the office manager. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Jean
    coplynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzmillerjg
    Hello,

Hope someone can help me determine whether this is a HIPAA violation or not. I was treated in a specialty clinic recently. At the time of checkout I had forgotten to bring money with me for the co-pay. Two other patients were waiting behind me and heard the finance person lecture me about not having the money with me, and discussing my account balance with the clinics in detail. I felt that it was at least an invasion of privacy and poor business practice to discuss my financial information in front of other patients. She did not disclose personal health infrmation though, so I don't know whether to pursue this as a HIPAA violation or just mention the lack of privacy to the office manager. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Jean
    That was a hippa they should not discuss anything that other people could here about you payment methods
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 18, 2007, 07:59 AM
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe anything financial is actually a HIPAA concern. However, it IS poor business practice, not to mention rude. I would contact the office manager to complain and if this happens in the future, speak up and request a private room to discuss such matters.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 08:15 AM
    HIPAA is there to protect your medical records, not your payment records. The woman was rude, but didn't violate any laws.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 18, 2007, 08:22 AM
    And why didn't you stop her cold and demand that they discuss this further in private?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I don't know if this is the right topic for the question or not, but here goes. I work in a hospital, and I was wondering if when talking to a co-worker outside of work Is it a hipaa violation to tell how many patients are on the floor, if that is all the info That you reveal?...

Is this a hipaa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a financial company, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes last year. I am FMLA covered and I am cleared for 8 days a month to be off work for my medical appointments and any issues that I may have. I have been having complications and had to go on a medical leave of absence. My...

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a medical Transcriptionist speaks to a patient whom he knows casually - And about whom he has transcribed a chart note - about that patient's physical condition, is the Transcriptionist in violation of HIPAA? . The patient did not directly tell the Transcriptionist about the physical condition...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation? If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy...

View more questions Search