Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Susanachan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Need a certificate to exempt from FICA taxes
    Hi,
    I am in OPT and working as full time now. I know I don't have to pay FICA and FICA MedC taxes, but my employer/company will not stop withholding those taxes for me UNLESS I have a written certification to prove that I don't have to pay the society security taxes." So I just want to know how I can get this kind of certificate showing that I can exempt from FICA taxes. Please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Contact the Social Security Administration.

I doubt you will get a certificate, but after you explain your circumstances, they should provide you with at least an email.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What documents proof that F1 student exempt from taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have the similar problem with my company. I am F1 visa holder student and do my OPT in Atlanta and graduated from an university in GA state. I gave documents to my company such as copy of VISA, I 94, and link from IRS.org that says F! Students are not subject of Medical and SS...

Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes... My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs. So I understand that since I didn't leave,...

About FICA taxes! [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Taxexpert: I am an J-1 holder and doing research at a university in US now. I came here in 29th Oct. 2004. But this year,the FICA withheld in my wages. I want to know if I should pay this taxes or not? Thanks! Best, Spectra

FICA taxes confusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I started with my employer Oct 05. I got my H1-B on Dec 05. Now for those few months before Dec 05 I was on my OPT and so I called my payroll dept and asked them not to deduct my FICA taxes. But after I got H1 I called them again and said that now you should start withelding my FICA...

View more questions Search