Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silver lady Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Tips at a hair salon
    I pay $50 for a haircut and $50 for hair color. How much would a reasonable tip be?
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
    It depends on how good the service was. I would figure maybe a tip in the $3-5 would be appropriate.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Oct 23, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I always give at least 10% unless it was awful.
    silver lady Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silver lady
    I pay $50 for a haircut and $50 for hair color. How much would a reasonable tip be?
    I usually give her $20, but as of Dec. 1 she is raising the price to $55 for haircut and $55 for color, so I thought I would reduce her tip $5 making it $15. That way I would only have to increase my cost by $5. What do you think?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
    If you can afford those costs for your hair, a 15% tip would be reasonable -- more if the shampoo person gives your head a lovely massage, the stylist is especially adept at making you look lovely, and the salon in general is customer friendly and accommodating with a selection of coffees and teas and even snacks while you wait and are under the dryer.
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Personally I think I would try to find someone else. I pay $65 for highlights, cut, and brow wax. And this is at an actual salon, not super cuts or anything.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karent23
    Personally I think I would try to find someone else. I pay $65 for highlights, cut, and brow wax. And this is at an actual salon, not super cuts or anything.
    Price vary widely by area. When I lived out in California, you'd be looking at about $90 for cut and color at Supercuts. I pay 120 for mine out here in Austin, at a stylist, not a chain. But I have, when I made much less money, gone to the hairdressing schools to get the job done cheaper. Takes a lot longer, but I had time, not money.
    lookin4nanswer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karent23 View Post
    I always give at least 10% unless it was awful.
    I agree
    lookin4nanswer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 06:47 AM

I am a hairsylist, i always here my new customer asking how much should they tip. I believe if its a good haircut 10% or it all depends on the cut. For color 15%

But please don't insult the the hairstylist with 3-5 $$$ tips when it was a $55, At least 5-10 $$$. I would understand if it was a $5 cut!!!!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Despite the original question being almost 2 years old, manners don't change very rapidly. Traditionally, gratuities are 5% for goods, 10% for services, and 15% for exceptionally good service. Beyond that tips become bragging or an offer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Price increase letter to hair salon clients [ 13 Answers ]

I would like to write a letter re: price increase to our clents. Straightforward, no explanations why, polite. We are an upscale private salon & its been 2 years & we need to inform them in a nice way, but not to give reasons like increase in gas, electricity, rent, etc, Thanks.

Best Way to market a Hair Salon [ 10 Answers ]

I really need help with my Hair Salon. I am located in a shopping center and I purchased a business that originally was a barber shop then a unisex salon. I would like to change this image and make it a hair design salon. I have had the salon for three years and have kept the same name that the...

Tipping the owner of a hair salon [ 7 Answers ]

My hair dresser has her own salon in her home. A long time ago I was told that you do not tip the owner of a salon, so I typically do not tip her. Is this practice still acceptable?

Hair Salon Price Increases [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a salon owner and we are going to be doing our first price increase (annual). Any advice in what way to determine a formula for the increase? The salon is a hair and nail salon. The nail prices are in line with our area. The hair prices are on the lower end of our area.:o

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

View more questions Search