Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrycja Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 05:08 PM
    Furnice Won't Blow Hot Air
    I just turned on the furnace as the cold weather started and I have NO HOT air. All I get is cool air coming through the vents. The fan works - just not the heat. I crawled under the house to "light the pilot" which is supposedly a self lighting light - pushed and held the red button - but nothing...

Per the owners manual (which I have 2 versions of for the same unit) one version says do not light the pilot as it's a self lighting pilot - the other version of the manual says to light it... I am very confused and not sure what to so. I don't want to blow myself up and I can't get anyone to come and help for 3 weeks. The only name I found on the manual is Heil Quaker - there is no information on the actual unit itself - so I am totally lost. Can anyone help me, PLEASE??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Since the instructions that say not to light the pilot light don't work, I would try the ones that say light the pilot light. Those long lighters meant for grills work nicely. Follow the instructions. Usually you turn the control to pilot, push in the red button to allow gas to flow and immediately light it. Hold the button in for about a minute to heat up the thermocouple. If the pilot light goes out when you let go, try again. Finally, turn the control back to its normal position. The instructions are written so following them won't blow you up.

Nov 3, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Furnice Won't Blow Hot Air
    Dear Labman,

Thank you for your help. Well, we got under the house and tried to light the pilot light a few times - however it won't stay lit. I am not sure what may be wrong - so instead of messing with it myself - I have a professional coming out to look at it this morning. I hope we can fix whatever may be wrong - as the heat did work just a month ago.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 09:03 AM
    If you are lucky, it will just be a bad thermocouple. The guy should have a new one on his truck and the tools to quickly replace it. Part of the bill goes to furnish the truck with whatever doodad the furnace may need, the tools, and a guy used to working under the house.

Nov 3, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Any suggestions on what else it may be in case it's not a thermocouple? Could it be the pilot assembly itself? Just curious. Any idea what kind of cost I may be looking at? I like to know in advance so that I'm prepared. Being a woman - many try to take advantage of - when it comes to things like this...
    Thanks again for your replies.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 10:37 AM
    If it is just the thermocouple, the total may be $50-$100. It could be the gas valve itself. It is a box at the end of the gas line connected to the burner, and has the tube for the pilot light and thermocouple coming out of it. If it is bad, I guess over $100.

Most repairman are honest and competent. I hoped you used a recommendation of a friend or checked BBB and other consumer advisors. My estimates may not mean much, I never pay for repairs, and seldom see others' bills.
    dondy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
    I have the same thing I have air but not hot air. Mine is central heat & air it runs all night and want get up to 68. Blows good but no heat and it is total electric unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get furnace to blow hot/cold air! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved into a house & I can barely tell that any air is coming out. I have just paid to have all the ducts cleaned. Please help me figure this out.

Husband cannot ejaculate? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I am new,. I have been with my husband for 2 years and he has problems ejactulating, I thought he didn't have any problems until recently he said that he doesn't know why. However he can control himself, (what I mean is when he is hard he can make his penis move up and down and things like that)...

Central ac fan won't blow [ 1 Answers ]

My ac unit in the house works fine, but is no tblowing cold air... I went outside and heard a buzzing/hummimg sound. When I removed the top the fan rotates by hand. I tried reseting my ac circuit breaker but no luck. Do I have a bad fan? Is there something else I can do to troubleshoot? Please...

Water Heater... is There A Blow Back Valve To Prevent The Tank From Going Dry And [ 8 Answers ]

Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry in a water heater. I live in a community where the water is constantly being shut off and the element burns out. Is there a type off blow back valve that can be installed to prevent the tank from going dry.

View more questions Search