Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turbowrites4gve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Bill of Sale Vehicle Registration
    Ok, here's my deal... I bought a car, the guy didn't have the title... but a bill of sale was written out and signed by both parties... can I use JUST my bill of sale to register my car? Or do I NEED the title? And if I do need the title, how do I get one?

PS This is in California
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Unless it is a antique car that did not have a title, you do not own the car unless you received a signed title. You don't even know they own the car, you don't know that there is not a lien on the car or anything.
    You need to run the VIN to first be sure it is not stolen, but to see who actually owns the car.

If you don't get a title, you don't own the car yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mass license loss and vehicle registration [ 1 Answers ]

OK I lost my license in Mass for two years now one year has almost gone by . I own a truck with payments I never received any calls or letters informing me that it can't be registered .now the catch is this I am self employed , I have been having people drive me around but I am unsure about this...

Bad used vehicle-private sale [ 3 Answers ]

Lies lies lies... bought a 2002 ranger and was told lies of why he was selling it. 4 days later its in for tranmission work. He won't return calls. I did not sign a bill of sale stating "AS IS", can I take him to small claims court?? :mad: Was able to talk to previous owner and they told me...

How do I get refund on registration/insurance for impounded vehicle? [ 1 Answers ]

My mom, 70 years old, lives in NY state. Her car was impounded because it was parked on the wrong side of the street. The car is in need of repair and is not really worth paying the impound or storage fees. So I am advising mom to abandon the car. Do we need a notorized letter stating that...

Vehicle registration - property protection [ 5 Answers ]

My spouse is unemployed and stays home with the kids. The house is in my name due to her prior credit history and I have a excellent paying job. Would I protect my personal assets by registering her car solely in her name. I read somewhere that if she caused an accident and was sued - they can...

View more questions Search