Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristaschafer Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Strings and hammers are all original. The keys are the only thing that had been replaced.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
    You mean the keytops, correct?

Oct 17, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Yes.

Oct 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
    I really have to go to bed now, it's 1:30 a.m. here. If you post more I will check again in the morning. Thanks again for all your help. Goodnight.
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Your answer to the strings and hammers being all original tells me a lot. If those two items are still the original ones, then chances are that they need to be replaced. For pianos, the piano wires, (strings) generally start losing their tensile strength after about twenty-five years. Hence, its makes tuning harder and the tone can suffer. Hammers that are that old, even if the piano hasn't been played all that much, get hard and the tone can then be "tinny." Along with replacing the strings, since the pin block is also that old, it would need to be replaced along with the strings and tuning pins.

I'm not saying that you absolutely have to do these things. But, your comment about it being "very out of tune" makes me wonder about it's capabilities as far as holding pitch after being tuned. Two years ago really isn't all that long ago.

I have a 1906 Chickering Grand and an 1885 Everett Grand in my living room. Both pianos have most of the original strings as well as the hammers. These instruments need to be rebuilt. Even so, they do sound great right now, but will sound even better once I have replaced all of the strings and hammers. Their holding a tune is somewhat questionable, though.

By being very out of tune, do you mean that some notes sound so bad that they don't lend to make a piece sound like it should? Are some notes a lot more grossly out of tune compared to the others? (I know, a very subjective thing. I listen to people's pianos over the phone for free in order to give them an idea as to what the condition, as far as tuning, their piano is in. Saves them money, and saves me a trip!)
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kristaschafer
    I really have to go to bed now, it's 1:30 a.m. here. If you post more I will check again in the morning. Thanks again for all your help. Goodnight.
    Thanks for asking about your piano! I am glad to help you! :) I am usually online here a little bit in the middle of the day. And, am also on during late in the evening, after 10:00 p.m. Central Time.

The other things that need to be addressed concerning your piano would be the condition of the pin block. (I will describe to you later how to examine the pin block yourself.) Whether-or-not this instrument has a bench. How ornate, if at all, the wood might be. What the condition of the finish is and also the type of finish that is on the instrument. Discussion about cracks in the soundboard if there are any. (There are a lot of misconceptions about what cracks in the soundboard of a piano mean.) What size and model of Francis Bacon baby grand piano this is. And, where it has been placed in a home previously and also where it is placed in your home now.

It could be that this instrument might be worth insuring. But, then again, maybe not. Don't know yet...

I do look forward to you returning to the site! :)
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 11:41 PM
    I wonder if she is and hope that she is coming back? :confused:

Oct 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Yes, I am still here. I work 12 hour nights and when I'm home try to get sleep. Hopefully we will catch each other on again.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2007, 12:31 AM
    Thank you for replying, Krista! If you would let me know some times when you will be on here, then I can try to make it a point to be on at the same time. My schedule is very flexible, except when I have a gig to play. I am going to be out of town all day, today (Sunday) to travel, and to play for a gig. But, really late Sunday night and after that, my schedule is not so set most of the time in the next three or four days. Please, just let me know. I do look forward to working with and helping you again! Thank you!
    hexice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I can tell you whether or not it's worth insuring. I just need to ask you some questions.
    I have a francis bacon plano and I was woundering aruond how much it would be worth
    It says 1789 on the inside of it and its in midd shape if you have any info about this plano e mail me at [email protected] ty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone play piano? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this forum Just wondering - does anyone play piano? If u do please tell me cause I have some questions to ask Thanks

1898 Piano [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what a 1898 Adam Schaaf upright piano is worth

Etching copyright by SZL (1937 0r 1931) [ 2 Answers ]

I have an original etching "Sunny Morning" by Pierre. SZL copy #30. I would like to know something about the artist and the value of the etching. One answer given indicated the gallery was open from 1940 to 1960. However, this etching has a copyright dated 1937 or 1931

Piano Tuning [ 2 Answers ]

I'm curious if anyone can give me an idea of how much it costs to tune a piano. I recently bought a used 1970's vintage Cable-Nelson Spinet and it needs slight tuning. I live in the New England area if that helps.

Learning the Piano [ 9 Answers ]

Can one of those portable keyboards be used to learn the piano. If so, which one would you recommend?

View more questions Search