Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    socialcivic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
    social civics
    The statement that " that government is best which interferes the least" is an expression of individualism. True or False?
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
    False - I'd call it Capitalism in its' purist form. Seems to me Thomas Paine said this - way back when we were trying to form this country
    Eleanora702 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 06:49 AM
    The answer to your question is not Thomas Paine, but it was Thomas Jefferson that said that quote. This doctrine of extreme individualism served a useful purpose in the days when the country's biggest problem was to increase production and gain for itself a place among the strong nations of the world. So, yes, that quote is and expression of individualism.

Eleanora
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Actually I have heard it attributed to both Paine and Jefferson . But I think it wrongly credited to Jefferson ;and I have not seen any solid proof that it is a Paine quote; although he is widely credited with it on the net ;without reference to a pamphlet or other writing by him .

Thoreau wrote in On Civil Disobedience

I heartily accept the motto,—“That government is best which governs least;” and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which I also believe,—“That government is best which governs not at all;” and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have. Government is at best but an expedient; but most governments are usually, and all governments are sometimes, inexpedient.

The motto he was paraphrasing was “The best government is that which governs least.”
    . This was the motto of the publication The United States Magazine and Democratic Review

"That government is best which governs least." -- This quotation has not been found anywhere in Jefferson's recorded writings or speeches. It first saw print in 1837, in the editor's introduction to the first issue of United States Magazine and Democratic Review, and Henry David Thoureau later used it, without attribution, in "On Civil Disobedience." (See the discussion in Paul F. Boller & John George, They Never Said It, Oxford Univ. Press, 1989, p. 56, and in Paul F. Boller, Not So! Oxford Univ. Press, 1995, pp. 49-51.)
    http://www.geocities.com/peterrobert...Jefferson.html

Emerson is also cited as saying "the less government we have, the better"

Call it individualism if you must. People have rights not groups or collectives. Free Governments are formed for the common defense of the individual ,not to provide for the individual.
    Eleanora702 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
    My information came out of my sons HS Social Civics book "Social Civics, Our Government in Action, written by Munro, Kennelly and McCarthy. Stating that it was indeed Jefferson who said that quote.

Eleanora

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social civics [ 1 Answers ]

Name four ways in which the United States Constitution has been developesince 1789 and give an example of each

91 honda civics starts but won't continue to run [ 2 Answers ]

I have a "91" honda civic 1500 with 189,000 mi. I changed the plugs and wires but the still have the same problem. The car will start and run for several seconds normaly then die. The only way to keep it running is to pump the gas peddle vigorously. The car will continue to run a little longer but...

Social civics [ 3 Answers ]

Most positions on the county payroll are filled by the merit is this true.

Social civics [ 1 Answers ]

Three ways and examples in how the us constitution has developed since 1789?

View more questions Search