Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SNardozza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
    What is Normal & Tear
    My tenant is moving after 2+ yrs. The house needs painting and the carpet in 1 room will need to be replaced. Can I deduct this from their deposit, what is considered normal wear and tear?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Paint, in my opinion, generally falls under "normal wear and tear". I understand in some states, you are REQUIRED to paint between tenants; so unless there is excessive wall damage (lots of holes that need patching) I'd let it go.

The carpet on the other hand, it depends. Was it new when they moved in? Why does it need replaced? Could it be cleaned and be acceptable to a new tenant? If they potty trained a puppy in there, or spilled bleach all over the room, that's beyond wear and tear. But if it is simple wear patterns and a little bit of staining that a good professional cleaning would take care of, again, I'd let it go.

Remember, 2+ years is a long time in a house; if everything was not top notch when they moved in, age is going to start to show (cheap carpet, bad initial paint job).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Normal wear and tear on a rental property [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new rental property which was rented for two years. When the tenants move out, there were three large holes in the kitchen from a barstool stain.The tenants claim, it is a normal wear and tear and not considered as a damage to the carpet. I have searched on the website, and this is...

Normal duration/frequency of erection & ejaculation. [ 2 Answers ]

My husband thinks his sexual abilities are quite normal... I, on the other hand, know that they are not. In my experience, most men are able to engage in a reasonable amount of foreplay and intercourse, then ejaculate and soon after roll over and fall asleep. My husband sometimes has an erection...

Normal wear & tear vs. Damage? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been renting a room in a single family home in Maryland for the past 2 years (I have had other room-mates move in and out during the time I've been here, and currently have 2 guys living in the other 2 bedrooms, but we all have separate leases), and I gave my 30 days notice to move out on...

Is this normal? : thermostat & furnace question [ 21 Answers ]

Hi all... Firstly, I read a lot of posts before asking this question... I saw some similar questions but didn't find the answers I needed... It would be very helpful for me if the follwing could be answered (I'm a first time home owner, in the process of learning stuff, pardon my lack of...

Normal Wear and Tear [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for the help with LMR. I saw a list somewhere showing what is normal wear and tear after 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 yrs... etc and the replacement or repair or painting that the landloard will be responsible for when tenant vacates. It may have been a California Laws site?? Can someone provide a...

View more questions Search