Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hans302 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Very poor transfer rate from External Hard Drive
    Hi all - Hope someone can help

Here is the info about my PC before I give the problem
    Running a Dual core 3.2Ghz Processor - 2GB RAM Windows Vista Home Premium - Norton 360

The Problem is with my FreeCom 400gb External Hard Disk Drive (USB 2)

Since a couple of days ago all was fine, I use this HDD to back up my DVD's. Then yesterday when I tried to access one of them, I noticed the transfer rate had suddenly plummeted to 2MB per second. This completely screwed any burning of DVD's using Nero 8 from this External HDD drive. I have uninstalled and re-installed all Nero etc still no luck.

After various processes of elimination I have narrowed it down to this external HDD, and now tonight I have narrowed it down even further to the problem being the transfer rate FROM the External HDD to my C Drive (or any other drive)

The transfer rate from my C Drive TO the external HDD is 12MB per second, however the transfer FROM my External HDD to my PC Hard Drive is only 2MB per second.

It is all USB 2 including the cables - All worked fine up until yesterday
    The only change has been a few windows vista updates.

I transferred all of the files from the HDD to my C drive (this took 14 hours -125GB) and then formatted the problem External HDD (That took 12 hours) - Still no luck

So basically I have narrowed the problem down to the transfer rate FROM the external USB HDD to my PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Hans
    ComputerCoot Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 07:09 AM
    I think you might have some USB 1.1 component like a cable or hub in the path to the external drive. The transfer rate of 12 mbs is the USB 1.1 transfer rate. It should be over 400 mbs on USB 2.0. Fixing this will help narrow down the very slow transfer rate problem. Hope this helps.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Make sure you plug the USB cable at the motherboard USB board, this ports are connected straight to the motherboard. Also make sure that your USB driver is for 2.0...
    hans302 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Hi there - Thanks for that benn11 and ComputerCoot - I have check all that and change the USB cable to one that I know is USB 2 - The External HD is now connected directly to the Main USB ports on the back of the PC (all USB2)

However the only problem now is that when I re-boot the PC I just get the initial HP Blue screen and this hangs indefinitely - When I turn the power off to the External HD windows then boots up normally. I then turn the power on to the External HD and windows recognizes it and all is well - It can't be that I have to turn the power off to the HD every time I re-boot?

Any ideas
    ComputerCoot Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Congratulations! You are now a step ahead of me (question just before yours). Not only can I not boot when the USB disk is connected, the drive seems to be invisible to Windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

What up, I just purchased a new PC and I would like to know if I upload all my music and pictures on the PC, will I be able to transfer all info to an external hard drive if I purchase one months down the road? Appreciate the help and Happy Holidays to all!

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

Maxtor External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search