Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcpokie100 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Marital property?
    My husband inheritated a large sum of money ( 100 K ) from his father when he passed away which was 3 1/2 yrs ago. We purchased a home shortly after his dad passing and he put the inhertiance down on the house as a downpayment.

I am not thinking of getting a divorce but I want to know what would happen if we did.. does he get the money right off the top and I get the equity in the house? Or is that considered marital property being we "acquired" it during our marriage. My name as well as his is on the title and deed to the house. Also am I entitled to 1/2 of everything that is acquired during our 10 yr marriage? We have 4 cars and all are in his name, plus we took out a home equity loan and he put the remaining amt in his checking acct ( over 11k ) am I entitled to a portion of that also? We took 20k out to pay off some bills. I just don't want to get the short end of the stick later on. We also have separate checking and savings accts because he feels I'll spend his money, which I wouldn't , I have a income.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:32 AM
    That about sums it up 1/2 and 1/2. But he could fight it about the inheritance and any more Judges don't always do the law thing. My friend just got a divorce and her ex fought for everything and she got nothing but a little bit of furniture and kitchen stuff. He got the house, money and everything else. It wasn't at all fair and she spent a lot of money on a lawyer that didn't help whatsoever.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
    In general, in most states when a couple gets divorced it is typical for each to take back what they brought to the marriage, and split whatever was acquired during the marriage. This is assuming there's no pre-nup or post-nup agreements in place, and you're not in a community property state. So yes, I believe the $100K that your husband inherited while you are married would be considered as belonging 50/50 to each of you. That would be a stating point for negotiations. As for the home equity loan, I would guess that it would have to paid off immediately.

Oct 17, 2007, 08:01 AM
    We live in RI , I don't know if that is a community property state or not.
    We currently owe 170k and that is with the home equity of 20k included. He wants to sell the house in 3 yrs and move out of state but I do not want to do that. He said he wants to get back at least what he put down on it. I am afraid that he will walk away with 80 or 90k
    And I will not get a cent. I pay 1/2 of the mortgage as well as he does and also I pay 1/2 of the property taxes which are 3200 a yr. I don't know if that matters or not. But we both contribute to the household. We do not have any children together. There is no pre-nup or post- pre nup either. He makes 63k a yr and I make 25k a yr. Can I ask for alimony being he makes a signaficant amount more than I do.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Rhode Island is not a community property state.

Given the widely varying laws between sates I can't tell you with any degree of certainty how the house would be split. That's why you need a lawyer if/when you get divorced - to argue your case so you don't get robbed by a crafty ex-spouse. One factor to consider is who contributed the down payment for the house. If your husband supplied the down payment, he would argue that he should get that back, and then you would split any additional appreciation (after paying off the mortgage and home equity loan). If he has pulled out $11K and does not use that to repay the loan, then you would argue that this amount comes out of his piece of the house. And yes, you would also argue for alimony, but you might be better off arguing for a lump sum out of the proceeds of the house sale rather than alimony - that way you get the money up front and don't have to worry about him skipping on alimony payments in the future.

Oct 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Thank you ! The information you have provided is very helpful.!
    bigchuck Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tcpokie100
    My husband inheritated a large sum of money ( 100 K ) from his father when he passed away which was 3 1/2 yrs ago. we purchased a home shortly after his dad passing and he put the inhertiance down on the house as a downpayment.

i am not thinking of getting a divorce but i want to know what would happen if we did.. does he get the money right off the top and i get the equity in the house? Or is that considered marital property being we "acquired" it during our marriage. My name as well as his is on the title and deed to the house. Also am i entitled to 1/2 of everything that is acquired during our 10 yr marriage? We have 4 cars and all are in his name, plus we took out a home equity loan and he put the remaining amt in his checking acct ( over 11k ) am i entitled to a portion of that also? we took 20k out to pay off some bills. i just dont want to get the short end of the stick later on. we also have seperate checking and savings accts because he feels i'll spend his money, which i wouldnt , i have a income.
    In my view the inheritance was co-mingled when he out it down on a house ( in both names).. and it is no longer just his,, it is marital property.

Keep in mind that depending on the state,, R.I. for example has an equitable distribution rule..

This means the judge ultimately decides who gets what... in his sole discretion... based on 3 factors... 1. length of marriage, 2. Contribution to the marriage and 3. Fault.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 13, 2008, 06:18 PM
    The inheritance, in general is separate property but when it was co-mingled like in this case, he purchased the house in both names. It's now considered "marital property".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stop a spouse from selling marital property till my motion for new trial is started [ 4 Answers ]

I have a motion for new trial set for hearing after 25 days as I was not informed about the divorce proceeddings at all. I was out of counrty for some time and my spouce got a divorce and all the property in Dallas, TEXAS. Now my spouse is trying to sell the marital property (house, shop, cars)...

Marital property vs. Separate in nc [ 2 Answers ]

We've been married for 4yrs. We both owned houses before marriage. I rented "mine" out and we lived in "his". Are the houses marital or separate under NC law? I've tried to research on the net but can't come to a definite conclusion. My realtor told me we split both homes. Somebody help!

Marital Property Expenses during separation [ 2 Answers ]

I am separated pending a divorce. My ex met someone else and moved out to live with him. I am living in condo until it sells - which may take a while. Since condo is in joint name and is marital property, is she responsible for some part of the monthly condo maintenance fee and insurance premium? ...

Division of marital Property [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida. My wife just left me for a younger man. I am retired -age 65 and she is working age 44. This was second marriage (15 yrs) for both of us. We have no children by this marriage. Since I am now on a fixed income and would have difficulty finding employment at my age, and since she...

Marital problem [ 3 Answers ]

Dear seer.. My husband, daughter and I relocated to another state. Our initial plans are not going as we thought and now we are having marital problems. I left something out, but perhaps you can figure it out and enlighten me as to what I should do to solve this dilema. Thank you ...

View more questions Search